tp-link wireless router not allowing access to mapped drives on network at work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-18 18:41:02
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

Installed the wireless router and established a secure wireless connection to my laptop.  I then connected to my company VPN; and noticed that I could not access mapped drives on the network.  What do I need to do to have access to my mapped drives on the network at work?  

Thanks 

Tony

Options
5 Reply
Re:tp-link wireless router not allowing access to mapped drives on network at work
2020-05-19 20:49:39

@Tony-Winholt 

When you say you established a secured wireless connection to your laptop do you mean you connected to either the 2.4Ghz or 5GHz using the wireless password?

When you connected to your company VPN network did that involves running a program on your laptop that logged you in to your work VPN?

Options
Re:tp-link wireless router not allowing access to mapped drives on network at work
2020-05-20 13:25:21

@Tony 

We are getting away from the real issue here. The wireless connection works well since all devices connected to it are working perfectly fine.  The VPN is a standard Windows (Built-in) connection.  There is no 3rd party software.  The VPN is not the problem since it works fine as well.  The specific problem is accessing mapped drives on the network once you VPN to it.  For example, drives S:, R:, or Q:.  I see that Archer20 has this issue.  Is this problem with all the Archers?  

Thanks

Tony

Options
2020-05-20 14:06:53
I am interested in this also as I am considering adding a full time VPN. I do not run a VPN on my home computer, just on my iPads when I travel. If the VPN is on the computer, I would think the message from the PC would be encrypted where the router would not know it was a request for a connection to the drive. I would think you would need a router based VPN to over come that issue.
Options
2020-05-20 14:47:01

Tony-Winholt wrote

Installed the wireless router and established a secure wireless connection to my laptop.  I then connected to my company VPN; and noticed that I could not access mapped drives on the network.  What do I need to do to have access to my mapped drives on the network at work?  

Thanks 

Tony

@Tony-Winholt 

Not sure what you mean or trying to do?

VPN would be used to protect you on the internet and not or should not interfere with local devices?

First question I have is can you connect to the local drives on the network (I assume you mean a USB drive on the Router, but it could also be shared drives on other network devices) without using the VPN or even enabling it?

Second quetion is if you have other PC's on the network not using a VPN, can they connect?

I'll assume you are running Windows 10? Do you have SMB1 enabled?

Options
2020-05-21 13:31:35

@Tony-Winholt 

Yes to Windows 10 and SMB1 enabled. 

I will try to clarify situation at hand again.  Internet Service Provider (ISP) to Router to laptop.  The laptop is used at work in a docking station, but has a VPN connection for working from home.  The VPN connection is Windows 10 (Built-in) -- Go to Settings-->Network&Internet-->VPN to setup connection -- enter information to company network -- connect.  Nothing fancy here.  

When the laptop is at work, user has access to local drive C: and any number of network mapped drives with letters G: to Z:.  

When at home with old router (ASUS) and VPN connected, all drives accessible. 

When at home with TP-Link router and VPN connected, access to local drive c: but no access to network mapped drives. PROBLEM

Since I saw this problem reported for Archer20, I have advised user to return router since these devices should work OOTB "Out of the Box".  Still interested if there actually is a solution.  

Thanks 

Tony

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1612

Replies: 5