Archer T4E Adapter Dropping/Unable to Connect to 5GHz network - WiFi Help!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-24 20:17:04 - last edited 2020-05-25 00:40:12
Model: Archer T4E  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 2024.0.2.101

Hi all,

I just installed a TP-Link Archer T4E wireless adapter on a new PC build, but it is randomly dropping the connection to the 5GHz band.

I've had some luck reconnecting by either shutting down/turning back on the computer or disabling the device in Device Manager and then re-enabling. Though most times I'm just met with a "Cannot connect to network" error in Windows. (2.4GHz band usually works with this adapter, though it does throw the "Cannot connect" error occasionally as well)

I've tested with different devices (tablet and laptop) and they are able to connect with no issues. The laptop has actually been running on that same 5GHz wireless connection for about a year now, and I've never had issues with the signal dropping, and still don't. (Laptop not on/connected while having issues with the desktop connection)

The computer is physically in the same location as the laptop was, the router is in the laundry room, across the hall, maybe 25-30 feet away. The only obstruction between the adapter and the router is a wall and a door.

I'm at my wits end, I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, using the generic windows drivers (the ones installed with fresh windows install), using the TP Link drivers, resetting router, and nothing seems to work. In any case. 

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Edit: If it matters, the router is an Arris SBG10 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer T4E Adapter Dropping/Unable to Connect to 5GHz network - WiFi Help!
2020-05-26 20:43:16

@ForGooey 

Try this driver to see if it clears up your 5G issues: link

You will need to manually install the .inf file for your respective system.

Options
2020-06-17 14:41:36
Yeah same here, worked perfectly for a year then all of a sudden been dropping randomly and would not connect. Even though it shows full signal it just keeps dropping. The TP Link from Tony is a even older driver from 2016 and honestly worked no better then current one. Even Windows own driver doesn't function any better. I think it could be a issue with Windows 10 in some update. I don't have another PC to test the T4E card in. Pretty much have to move on to some other solution.
Options
2020-12-14 08:48:00

@Tony i can't downgrade my t4e driver. can you tell me how to install this?

Options
2020-12-14 11:40:07

@Ercan Finally, I've figured out! The fact is that problem was not about our T4E Wi-Fi adapter. You should disable all of the Microsoft WiFi Direct Virtual Adapter drivers in Device Manager. 

Step 1

Step 2

If the first method did not work for some reason, you can use the PowerShell command to remove Microsoft WiFi Direct virtual adapter.

1. First, open an elevated PowerShell window. To do that, search for PowerShell in the start menu, right-click on the result and select "Run as administrator".

2. In the PowerShell window, execute the below command. It will first stop the running virtual adapter. You need to do this first to disable it fully.

netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

3. After stopping the WiFi Direct virtual adapter network, execute the below command to disable it. Once the adapter is disabled, you will not see it in other applications or devices.

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

4. Generally, you don't have to reboot Windows. However, if you are not seeing the changes instantly, reboot Windows.

That is it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7288

Replies: 4

Related Articles