Capped at 94/95mbs (Buyer Beware)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-26 03:04:52 - last edited 2020-05-27 00:36:01
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Greetings, I recently upgraded my Xfinity/Comcast service to 1000Mbs.  Connecting my computer to cable moden (Netgear CM700) over ethernet gets me around 715Mbs DL on Xfinitiy's site and around 470Mbs on other sites.  Now, when I hook up a TP-Link router (Archer A5 or TL-WR940N, as routers not access points) to the modem, I get a maximum of 94/95Mbs no matter the method I choose (ethenet from tp-link router to computer,2.4,5.0).

Is there something peculiar about TP-Link routers that is preventing this?  Or is there some setting I am not aware of?  Many thanks and stay safe.

Options
5 Reply
Re:capped at 94/95mbs
2020-05-26 13:14:40
Neither of those routers are gigabit routers. The max speed of the WAN and LAN ports on both is 100 so that is the max speed you will get out of them. You will need a different router to get any faster. TP-Link has many that do. Check the specs and look for 10/100/1000Mbps WAN and LAN ports or faster. Others have complained that the router's (not just TP Link's) wireless speeds which seems to be the advertised speed are much higher than the max speed you can get out of the router due to LAN and WAN port limits. Also look at the max speed of the WIFI for each network. The speed you get is not combined. Those are the numbers that under perfect conditions which you will never get. For example, the A5 states "Simultaneous 2.4 GHz 300 Mbps and 5 GHz 867 Mbps connections for 1200 Mbps of total available bandwidth*". You may get 250 on 2.4 and may get up to 800 on 5GHz provided Xfinity supplies that 1000 speed. Note that little * at the end of the A5 WIFI speeds. Buy a router that you can grow into with more speed than you have from your ISP and your devices. For example, consider an AX router even though you do not have any AX devices.
Options
Re:capped at 94/95mbs
2020-05-27 00:34:30

@ArcherC8 , well I'll be damed.  I'm pretty tech savy and just assumed that if they are advertising a router that can hit close to 900mbs on 5Ghz chanel, that the WAN (from the modem to router) would be up to par, i.e., 1000mps.  That is not the case.  Buyer beware.  Maximum speed for these low end routers is 100mbs combined from all sources because of the WAN limitation.

Options
Re:Capped at 94/95mbs (Buyer Beware)
2020-06-28 18:46:50

@JB2007 I had to dig to discover this "feature." The box clearly shows 300mbs & 867 mbs on the label, but does not clearly explain that it doesn't really give you those speeds. It should clearly state that the jack from the internet into the router is throttled to 100 mbs. That's all you get.
So TP can talk all they want about the product's great speeds, but it is basically a 10/100 jack. NOT the advertised 300 or 867 Mbps. 

My rhetorical question is "Whats the point?" I percieve this as very misleading since this is the way it is advertised. They bury the part that you don't get the speeds they promise. Very disappointed since I subscribed to 150 Mbs service because of what the ad listing and product container say. Now, it's just me throwing money away, because of shady advertising.

Options
2020-06-28 21:43:48

Hodgysan wrote

So TP can talk all they want about the product's great speeds, but it is basically a 10/100 jack. NOT the advertised 300 or 867 Mbps. 

@Hodgysan 

Those speeds are the CONNECTION speed for N and AC devices. Not the true speed, which depends on many variables. One, of course, the major one is the speed of the Internet Connection seen by the router. That would be the max. speed you could see under some circumstances. However, you could easily reach 1/2 of those speeds if you stayed on your LAN, that is PC to PC (and that depends on the internals of the PC, such as disk access speeds, speed of the disks, r/w speeds that is, and CPU capability to name a few). The spec's for the routers you mentioned do call those 'signal rates', not a speed rate by the way. Different 'animal' that the speed of transfer.

Options
2020-06-28 23:12:30

The input (WAN) is capped at 100mbs on these lower end/budget routers (on virtually ALL routers from all companies, not only TP-Link).  Thus, the output from LAN, 2.4 or 5GHz is necessairly capped to 100mbs, 95mbs if you factor in overhead.  You can't "out" more than you "in." 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 620

Replies: 5