Deco P9 - Satellites randomly disconnect and blink red

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-27 04:03:29
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20200115

Getting extremely frustrated.  The 2 satellites keep randomly disconnecting and blinking red.  May come back online themselves after a while but sometimes requires a reboot of the device.  Literally happening 10 times a day.  Whats going on?

Options
17 Reply
Re:Deco P9 - Satellites randomly disconnect and blink red
2020-05-27 18:49:34

@JimJano 

Blinking Red indicates the satelites are losing connection to the main unit.  We would recommend relocating the remote nodes a bit closer to the main unit.

Options
2020-05-27 19:08:25

@Carl Such a bs response.  It worked fine for weeks and no all of a sudden it can't connect and the answer as a support person is to just move the device?  Are you serious or are you joking?  This has to be a joke.   However, I did decide to move the device.  That one and the other two are about to be boxed up and sent back since they are complete trash.

Options
2020-05-28 00:14:34

@JimJano 

I regret that you feel that way but it is a valid suggestion.  The nodes for the P9 connect and communicate to each other through 3 different mediums; Ethernet, Wireless or Powerline.  Each Deco will choose the best available backhaul to connect with the base unit and each other.   If you are not using Ethernet that means Powerline or Wireless.  If your home's powerline quality is poor or interference is detected the Deco may choose wireless as the best available option.  If the remote units are loosing connectivity to the base then that would mean that relocating the satelites could resolve the issue.  Regardless if the area they are currently in was working previously.  Network enviorments can change, especially if new devices are added or interfrence from neighboring networks happens.  

What happend when you moved one of the satilites? Is the light still blinking red?  Prior to the concerns first happening was there any changes to your network? Did you preform any software updates?  Have you tired swaping out one of the satalite units for the Base, thus swapping their positions?

Options
2020-05-28 00:29:04

@Carl I appreciate the response, but it's already packed in a box ready to go back.  But to answer your questions in hopes it helps someone else.

What happend when you moved one of the satilites?

It will connect fine, after a few hours back to blinking red.

Is the light still blinking red? 

Yes

Prior to the concerns first happening was there any changes to your network?

We unplugged one, it sat off for about 10 mins and plugged it back in.  Issues ever since.  Same outlet, same location.

Did you preform any software updates? 

After 5 days of dropping connections about 10-15 times a day, I found a beta update on this forum and upgraded.  Liked the new features, but same dropped connections.

Have you tired swaping out one of the satalite units for the Base, thus swapping their positions?

I have, twice.  Each unit has occupied a different location in my house.  It is a 3 floor house, built in 1998.  The base is in the basement with the modem, one satellite is one floor up and directly above the base and the 2nd satellite is 1 floor up and directly above the first satellite.

I felt as though this is a pretty common setup.  House isn't really old with think walls or anything. It should be a setup a mesh network from a company in business long should be able to manage.  

Options
2020-07-18 03:01:09

@JimJano Didn't anyone reply? I am having a similar issue and would like help as well. Hope yours works now.

Options
2020-08-02 16:29:41

@GameBUZZ I am having similar issues as well.  Decos keep dropping connection for no reason.  Weird password issues with iphones.  I am not sure that these devices will work properly.

Options
2020-08-04 20:37:49
I’m having the same issues
Options
2020-08-04 20:44:38

For those having the same issues, I never got it resolved and TP Link support was worthless.  I ended up sending it back and got a MeshForce setup which is phenomenal.   

Options
2020-09-20 12:22:46

@JimJano This seems to not only be P9. I just started using the S4 and have the same issue. Tried all the suggestions and have it set up through ethernet and having the same issue. There seems to be a design flaw because this appears to be happening on all models

Options
2020-11-16 18:48:56

Same issue here. All was working fine, no changes on my end. I even checked to see if the neighbors had changed anything with there service or equipment and they did nothing. Satellites just started losing connection intermittently and now I can't get them to connect at all. They go from yellow to blinking red even when directly next to the main unit.  

Options