Update Archer C7 V2 to V5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-28 21:09:40
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

Can I update my Archer C7 V2 to V5 in order to use it for OneMesh?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Update Archer C7 V2 to V5?
2020-05-29 11:13:57
I do not know of any way to upgrade as there is generally hardware difference between versions hence different firmware for each. Maybe someone from TP Link can find out if there is a new firmware release in the future for V2 to have OneMesh.
Options
2020-06-01 15:17:35

@GH7 

Unfortunately, no.

Every firmware is released for the specific hardware version, and for only the specific hardware version. If you try to update firmware on your router that is designed for a different hardware version you may brick your router.

Options
2020-08-29 00:29:56

@Tony 

I'm going to leave something here I wanted to do for a while now.

I cannot just believe that the V5 hardware version gets all the love when it comes to firmware updates while all C7/A7 hardware revisions are bassicly the same when we look at the Hardware. I own 3 c7's v2 and for me as end user it's kinda frustrating to see that the rebranded versions still get updates. And the same hardware devices like v2's are left out.
What's wrong bringing new and optimized features to your loyal early adopters. That are bassicly running the same hardware, shame on you TP-LINK.

Anyway you have one of the best routers for OpenWRT when it comes to the wifi part luckly I can use that........

Good luck!

Options
2020-08-30 13:53:14

@Tony Unfortunate is a good choice of words on your part. I bought my router from the TP-Link Store on Amazon...and there was nothing about different versions. I got a V2, and now after it's too late to do anything about it, I find that I can't use the OneMesh home network. Is there really that much of a hardware difference between the V2 and V5 that OneMesh support can't be added? I've looked at the specs and I can't see why it couldn't be done (but I'm not an electrical engineer and don't have all the schematics, so it's entirely probable that I'm missing something).

I looked at Amazon again this morning, and I don't see any way of ensuring that ordering another one would guarantee that I'd get one with V5 hardware.

I think it would at least be nice customer service for TP-Link to offer some kind of upgrade discount where we could send you our old V2 routers and get a V5 for a substantial discount. I'm sure it would only cost you a few dollars to update the old ones to V5 and sell them for a significant profit.

Options
2020-08-30 17:38:00

QPhysics137 wrote

I think it would at least be nice customer service for TP-Link to offer some kind of upgrade discount where we could send you our old V2 routers and get a V5 for a substantial discount. I'm sure it would only cost you a few dollars to update the old ones to V5 and sell them for a significant profit.

@QPhysics137 

I doubt this is really feasible. To begin with, there is a lot that you took for granted. Cost and what they'd give you for example. Then could they even 'sell it' as new after they updated it.

What do you think it could even be 'updated' for a few dollars? Think about that? If it was only firmware it would be reasonable to ask why not? If it were only the Power Supply that was different, I'd think you'd have a case. What if the case only were diffrent, you could make a case.

However most of the times you'll discover other changes between versions. Usually it is a minor change, but it doesn't mean it is 'simple' to update.

Let me focus on a single difference between the V2 and V5. CPU's... V2 - Qualcomm QCA9558, V5 - Qualcomm QCA9563. With that alone, and usually the chipset for the CPU is different, you have to probably pull the motherboard and replace it totally. That cost is probably a substanial portion of the router parts cost. Now consider the cost of removal, install, and testing.

I wish they could/would do that. I have an Archer A20 V1 and now they have a V3... I'd upgrade if it were cheap....

By the way, this page will show you the inside of the C7 V2,https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32498-tp-link-archer-c7-v2-reviewed, all one motherboard.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4146

Replies: 5

Related Articles