WiFi Extender Question/Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-04 20:38:52
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Help!!!  I purchased a RE450 WiFi extender.  I have a gateway which only supports 2.4GHz.  When I plug the extender in, under my WiFi options I have my home network and 2 choices for the extender (2.4GHz and 5GHz).  I'm choosing to connect throug the gateway WPS button and the extender's WPS button.  I am only able to get a successful connection with the 2.4GHz since the gateway only supports that band.  After connecting, under my WiFi options is my home network.  The two TP extender choices disappear and are apparently replaced by my home network's name followed by 5G.  I'm trying to figure out exactly what this 5G is and why it is labeled 5G?  It is defaulting to that name.  Is that in fact the extender?  My download and upload speeds seem to be faster when I select that option rather than my original home network, but I'm just not sure what I'm connected to.  I'm not tech saavy as you can see so if someone could help explain.

Options
1 Reply
Re:WiFi Extender Question/Issue
2020-06-04 23:07:45

@lucas70 

The extender will only connect to a brand that is available from the main router. So if your router only has 2.4GHz only the extenders 2.4GHz will connect, and not the 5Ghz. Another way to verify is to look at the LED lights on the extender. If both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz lights are on, then your router is actually dual-band. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 361

Replies: 1

Related Articles