‘Time Machine couldn't back up to "ArcherA20.local"’

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-04 23:56:37 - last edited 2022-05-05 20:52:28
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.16299(5553)

Hi there,

Just set up my new TP-Link AC4000 (Archer A20).

(In case it matters, It is set up as an access point for an EdgeRouter X which is on a 1Gig fiber connection.)

I was easily able to use the TP-Link control panel to add a USB storage drive, enable Time Machine, and designate the correct disk partition for backups ("BackupTM").

In my macOS Time Machine preferences (macOS Catalina) the BackupTM was visible and I was able to add it as a backup disk.

However when I try to actually complete a backup, it says "Looking for backup disk…" for a minute or two, and then says "Backup Failed. Time Machine couldn't back up to "Archer A20.local"." 

Clicking the "Details" button on the error message adds "Time Machine couldn't complete the backup. The backup disk image could not be created."

The Archer A20 volume is visible as a device on the network throughout.

Anyone have any insight as to what could be preventing Time Machine from finding the disk to complete the backup, even though it is able to find it to add it as a Time Machine disk in the first place?

Options
19 Reply
Re:‘Time Machine couldn't back up to "ArcherA20.local"’
2020-06-05 17:38:42

@wesd 

When you mentioned the A20 is set up as an AP, did that involve changing the operation mode to an AP? If so, switch the A20 to router mode and test the back up again.

Options
2020-11-13 23:17:53 - last edited 2020-11-13 23:18:22

Hi Tony Are you saying that TP-Link doesn't work at Time Machine Backup in Access Point mode? One of its two standard modes?! Very disappointing if true.

Options
2020-11-14 11:47:55
Also be sure your drive is formatted for Time Machine. Can you get to the drive via SMB in Finder?
Options
2020-11-14 15:31:33

wesd wrote

I was easily able to use the TP-Link control panel to add a USB storage drive, enable Time Machine, and designate the correct disk partition for backups ("BackupTM").

In my macOS Time Machine preferences (macOS Catalina) the BackupTM was visible and I was able to add it as a backup disk.

@wesd 

OK, I don't use a Mac, and I have an A20 v1, so I can be off-base here.

As far as I know from 'experience' on some routers, they do not like multi-partitioned external drives. They usually only see the first one. Not sure if this applies here or not? I have only used single partition hard drives in my A20. I did on other routers that had 2 USB ports use 2 different external drives and that allowed 2 drive letters to be assigned.

I'll assume you followed these instructions?

=====================

7. 3.    Time Machine
Time Machine backs up all files on your Mac computer to a USB storage device
connected to your router.
1.    Visit http://tplinkwifi.net, and log in with your TP-Link ID or the password you set for
the router.
2.    Go to Advanced > USB Sharing > Time Machine.
3.    Tick the checkbox to enable Time Machine.
4.    Click Select to select a location for Time Machine backups. <-- do you see a different drive letter here?
5.    Set the Size Limit for Backups.
Note: 0 means no limit for the space.
6.    Click Save

======================

Can you create backup folder on the first Primary Partition of the drive and does that work? This would 'prove' you can do it to the drive.

Options
2020-11-16 01:33:23
I can see the External HDD in Finder and I can even select "BackupTM" as Time Machine backup disk (after entering username and password). The it waits 120 seconds to backup and (as per original poster) I get the message "Looking for backup disk..." then (after 20 seconds of searching) "Time Machine couldn't back up to "Archer AX20.local". Again, is the problem that (for some reason) time machine doesn't work in AP mode?
Options
2020-11-16 22:17:17

@MosLim 

My original post was to test to see if that was the case. The documentation or FAQs that I have seen don't mention the router needs to be in the routing mode.

The more information that is readily available I can forward which makes finding a solution more efficient.

Options
2020-11-16 23:15:17

Same issue on Archer AX11000. Cannot create backup. Currently partitioned as NTSF, which is the format Ive gotten furthest with. Router can't see APFS and Mac would never even connect to HFS

Options
2020-11-16 23:47:39
Managed to get it working - HDD formatted to MacOS Extended (journaled). I think the key was not to select "Backup Now" rather than wait the 120 second countdown for Time Machine to do the first backup - which inevitably led to "can't find backup disk"
Options
2020-12-16 07:12:15 - last edited 2020-12-16 07:13:01

What finally fixed it for me was enabling encrypted backups in the Mac's Time Machine options when adding the disk. Without that on, it would fail to create the sparsebundle with a resource busy error in the console for backupd.

Options
2021-01-05 08:41:32

@hyprskwerl This was super helpful — thanks for the suggestion. For anyone checking the thread later, reformatting the drive from scratch (Mac Extended Journaled, as usual for Time Machine) and then adding it to the Archer, enabling Access Authentication and Time Machine on the router, then adding as a Time Machine drive with eyncryption enabled did the trick.

Options