Deco x20 wifi is still slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-11 16:27:02
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 build 20200330 rel.41081

I saw the new release Deco X20 and given my AC1750 is old, I thought I give this new wifi devices a try and see if it help my streaming 4k video.

I still getting wifi in my 1400sqf 2 stories house, like the old AC1750 . A little bit faster but not that much which I find it dissapointed.

Inside my room speed would be 200Mbps, and drop to 50% once I get out of my room which is 10 feet away, or if I to my backyard opposite my room 5 feet away and it drop to 20Mbps.

There is no way to change the channel ID on these devices, so how does it know which signal to use, it seem to be automatically assigned where as the full router, you can change the setup.

Setup is easy but it is so limiting on features that you depend on TP-Link firmware to fix anything. Now I am regretting if I should just get the full router instead of these little wifi mesh devices.

Does making my old AC1750 as main router with these 3 deco x20 work as intended or it would have interference with the speed signal?

Right now, my ISP modem running two ethernet, one to AC1750 and 1 to Deco x20 so it had seperate network, but that isn't what I want. I want a better speed signal since it didn't give me much better speed compare to a router and a wifi powerline.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco x20 wifi is still slow
2020-06-11 20:42:10

@VitaminM 

It could be your environment is not doing any favors for the Wi-Fi signal. 

There are a couple of ways you can go about to test and try to see if anything works better.

-Modem > x20 > slaves, having the AC1750 near the main x20 will probably cause interference

-Modem > AC1750 > x20 AP Mode, when the x20 is in AP Mode you can have all wired to the router or have them connect wirelessly

Having a wired connection is always best between the Deco units. You can have a mix of one node being wired, and the other wireless.

Location is also a big factor so before starting anything move them either closer or in a area where is not enclosed to see if that improves speeds.

Options
2020-06-13 02:23:05

@Tony 

If I do that setup AC1750 --- Deco X20 ->> Deco X20 2nd ->> Deco x20 3rd, am I suppose to connect the first Deco X20 wired to AC1750 in order for it to use the mesh system?

I am worry I losing the mesh wifi if I don't plug it in directly.

If connecting it wirelessly between AC1750 and Deco X20 not possible and may lose the mesh wifi, would those new AX3000 work as intended?

Options
2020-06-15 15:42:16

@VitaminM 

For all Deco systems, the first unit must be wired to the router or modem depending on how you are setting it up. You will have a mesh network regardless if the Deco is running in Router Mode or AP Mode.

The AX3000 will not be able to connect wirelessly to get internet, it will need to be wired too.

Options
2020-07-07 21:44:52
I have the same problem where the main X20 Main Deco in router mode with the following configuration (Modem -> X20 -> Ethernet Switch -> Other 2 Deco's wired-ethernet) is located in the main bedroom and Deco 2 is located scarcely 25 feet away in the Bedroom 2. And Bedroom 2 has ZERO wifi access. Any ideas?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4271

Replies: 4

Related Articles