Slow internet speed on wired connection on Archer A7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-15 15:59:36
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.14

First of all, I would like to say I love this router. Great performance for a good price and it has all the specs I need. I have ~200mbps internet speed from my ISP, and the router is able to achieve that speed. The first few months I have used it, I could reach the maximum speed on both wired and wireless clients. Now, however, I can only get ~120 mbps speeds on wired clients such as my PC, but on wireless devices like my phone on the 5 GHz band can still get the maximum ~200 mbps speed. I have checked the duplex settings to make sure both the router and my PC are on 1.0 Gbps, but that didn't work. I backed up all of my settings and performed a factory restore on the router, and that didn't change anything either. What am I doing wrong here?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Slow internet speed on wired connection on Archer A7
2020-06-15 16:01:50

@bbaker28050

Also, I have not changed any cables or anything either 

Options
2020-06-15 16:51:53
Try power cycling the modem, router and PC. Change the cable between the router and the modem and test. Then the cable between the router and the PC. Bypass the router and connect the PC direct to the router and run your speed tests to insure it is not the ISP, modem or the cable. Look at your cable and the connectors and ensure that there are no bent pins. If you were using IPv6 before, ensure it is still working.
Options
2020-06-15 17:19:29

@ArcherC8 

I have done all of that, when I plugged the pc right in to the modem I got the full internet speed that I am paying for, just like how I did previously through wireless, but when I went back through the router it continued to be slow on wired only

Options
2020-06-16 19:33:48

@bbaker28050 

If you have another computer wired that to the router to test. If you do not, and only have the one PC, boot it up in safe mode and do a speed test to see if any software on the computer is causing it.

Options
2020-06-16 20:59:19

@bbaker28050 

If you know when this happened, look into the Settings and the UPDATE for Windows History (if on Windows). It is possible that Windows replaced your Network Card driver. Use Device Manager to see what drive is being used and the date on it, that will help. You'll find that on the Properties for the device. Can try the ROLLBACK as well. Lastly, check the card manufacturer for the latest driver (RealTek on many PC's) and if later, get it and install it.

Options
2020-06-16 23:01:20

@Tony 

I have a laptop that has a gigabit network interface. I tested it with a CAT 6 cable and I still have the same result.

Options
2020-06-16 23:04:05

@IrvSp 

I will have to double check that, but also I am able to get roughly 1 gbps speed through file transfers through locally connected devices via ethernet, I believe I forgot to mention that earlier

Options
2020-06-17 12:56:32

@bbaker28050 

bbaker28050 wrote

@IrvSp 

I will have to double check that, but also I am able to get roughly 1 gbps speed through file transfers through locally connected devices via ethernet, I believe I forgot to mention that earlier

That is unusual? What you state means that the router can process 1GB from a wireless device to the subject wired device but not process to the wired device the same GB speed for the Internet?

What are you using to test each of these variations? I understand some test sites can't handle all speeds. Check this site out, https://ting.com/blog/perform-proper-internet-speed-test/.

It is best to test all devices on the same test sites too, generally using a web browser vs. an application. Many ISP's suggest using only their speed test site as it then tests the speed they deliver without other possible delays due to the Internet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1920

Replies: 8

Related Articles