VPN on secondary router connected to TV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-16 01:24:15
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi - Archer C7 1750 is my primary router.

Archer 1200 is my secondary router connected to TV only.

I wish to enable PPTP or L2TP VPN on the secondary router. so, that only TV connects to secondary router and all other go directly through primary router.

can I do it?

I tried connecting secondary router to the LAN of the primary router, changed the subnet of secondary router and added PPTP details on the secondary router. Although on the secondary router screen it says connected when I windows 10 PC to my secondary router, but it does not seem that desktop is connected to VPN server, as displayed in iplocation.

would you know what is wrong?

alternatively, can I enable PPTP on primary router and only restric VPN through access tp only one IP address, i.e., when other desktops access this router they are not routed through VPN connection.

thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:VPN on secondary router connected to TV
2020-06-16 12:45:22
Interesting question. You think there would be a way as you could have a PC, tablet. or phone with a VPN installed the device and only that device would have VPN. If you could install VPN on the TV, it would work however I do not know of one that does. Could you get a device that can stream the content, run VPN, and project to the TV such as a tablet, PC or a roku type device?
Options
2020-06-16 13:06:53

@ArcherC8 

I found the issue. It seems the Archer A5 1200 router does not support PPTP VPN. Everytime I connect, it display VPN sever IP and DNS as 0.0.0.0. However, when I replaced with C7 1750, the PPTP connection displayed the VPN servers IP and DNS and successfully connected to the VPN via passthrough through my primary router.

Has anyone successfully  installed VPN on TP link A5 1200? can I flash the firmware with openwrt or dd-wrt?

Options
2021-10-22 12:24:52

@marc100 hi - what were your settings on c7 and primary router? I was unable to passthrough on my c7 with Er605 as the secondary. both support PPTP.

thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 747

Replies: 3

Related Articles