Controlling Sonos with Smart Connect Dual Band - Archer AX6000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-18 22:44:24
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I recently purchased an Archer AX6000. Previously, I had a Netgear Nighthawk AC tri-band router. I was able to control my Sonos from my phone when using Netgear's version of Smart Connect with my old tri-band router, but am unable to with the Smart Connect on my Archer AX6000. I believe Sonos runs on 2.4ghz.

Has anyone experienced this or have any tips? Shouldn't this work on Smart Connect even if my iPhone/controller is on the 5ghz band?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Controlling Sonos with Smart Connect Dual Band - Archer AX6000
2020-06-19 22:33:09

@user_jw21 

Go into the wireless settings, enable the AP isolation for 2.4GHz, save it, then disable it and save it again. 

You should still be able to see any device connected to any of the wireless bands.

Options
2020-06-19 23:20:24

@Tony 

Thanks! Just tried as you suggested. It's actually located under System Tools > System Parameters, but I found it. No luck though. Any other suggestions?

Options
2020-06-27 12:52:16 - last edited 2020-06-27 12:56:39

@user_jw21 @Tony   having the same issue - whenever SmartConnect is enabled, one or more of my speakers drop off the Sonos system and/or I can't get the app to find the entire system at all (intermittent). Further, I cannot get some speakers to reliably connect even with SmartConnect off unless I also turn off auto channel assignment for 2.4ghz and set the channel manually. I don't think the issue is the phone being on 5ghz because with SmartConnect off, the phone is still on 5ghz and Sonos functions exclusively on 2.4ghz and it works fine. 

Manual channel assignment with SmartConnect off fixes the issue, but I hope TP-Link will investigate because one of the reasons I paid so much for this router was the feature set; there is no reason why SmartConnect/band steering can't function with Sonos devices. My 7 yr old Netgear functioned better than this brand new model with Sonos :(

Options
2022-03-04 13:25:05

@user_jw21 I can report as of March 2023 "Smart Connect" still breaks Sonos connectivity. I'm running an Archer AX21 v2.0 with firmware 2.1.5

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1649

Replies: 4