AX Router Compatibility/Connectivity Issues with Xbox 360

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-19 05:58:58 - last edited 2020-06-23 21:55:28
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20200426 Rel.69563

The Archer AX3000 has vastly improved my WiFi coverage in my home. I initially bought this because it can handle a lot of connections. I simultaneously run 5 phones, 1 Smart TV, 2 iPads, 1 Desktop (wired), 1 Xbox One, and 2 Xbox 360 consoles in my home network. I have 200MB service coming from a Spectrum E31U2V1 Modem.

All my devices can connect to the network, speeds are much better. On my Xbox One I'm getting 90-100 mb/s download vs 33 mb/s on my previous Dual Band N600 router from Belkin from 2006. 

The issue is my Xbox 360 in my room. The connection randomly drops on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Here are my settings for borh.

2.4 Ghz

A/b/g/n mixed mode, ax is off

Channel is set to Auto, 20/40 is set to auto

Short GI is off

WPA/WPA2 is set to Auto

AES is set, not auto.

5GHz

a/b/g/n/ac mixed mode, ax is off because Xbox One won't connect if AX mixed mode is enabled.

Channel is set to Auto, 160hz set for channel width

Short GI is disabled as well

WPA/WPA2 is set to auto, AES is set, not auto

Other settings are enabled by default

QoS is enabled

DoS protection is Low

IPv6 is on Dynamic IP

NAT settings enabled by default

UPnP is enabled, I had port forwarding enabled on older Router with static IPs, this didn't work with this router.

Instead I have IP reservation on for my all 3 Xbox consoles and Auto IP on the console settings. The Xbox One works well. No disconnects. The Xbox 360 using the Wireless N adapter also connects.

But the Xbox 360 in my room is 15-20 Feet away from the router and drops connection frequently. I've had it set to defaults and I thought it was the wireless adapter in the Xbox and replaced it. Same issues. The connection drops because even with IP Reservation and binding it with the XBOX MAC Address, it assigns a 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.155.40 IP address to it, causing the connection to Xbox Live/Netflix to drop. I have to reboot the Xbox and the Router. Resetting the Xbox alone doesn't work since it can't see my network..

I believe the N standard is incompatible at a distance. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think it's the Xbox at fault since the one closest to the router works fine. But even with all those new technologies in this router, it has issues with older wireless N devices at any distance over 10 ft...

I hope there is a firmware update to address legacy devices. I've had the same problem with a Linksys AC1600, they both had intel SoCs. So it must be an Intel issue. I might have to try an AX router with Qualcomm chip that has 5 cores....

I hope One Mesh support is added in a firmware update. Adding a mesh to my room may resolve my connection drops. I hope. 

I have used every troubleshoot that Xbox provided. I can stay online longer but the connection drops. I am aware that wired is better and reliable, but I bought this device to stay wireless. Thanks again.

Options
7 Reply
Re:AX Router Compatibility/Connectivity Issues with Xbox 360
2020-06-19 14:49:03
Since you have multiple Xbox devices, I would switch two of them and see if the problem follows the box or the location. That would tell me where to concentrate my efforts. If your router allows you to change the bandwidth, you may want to try that as some devices like wide and others narrow. Move the Xbox around a bit but at about or longer distance as that may indicate that there interference with something else. That something else could be a non-WIFI device such as a cordless phone, weather station, ...
Options
2020-06-19 19:38:09 - last edited 2020-06-19 19:41:47

@ArcherC8 

The Xbox One and 1 Xbox 360 are located in my living room as the AX3000, about 8 ft from it. They don't exhibit the same connection loss. They're are not on at the same time. Doing as you asked I did notice that when the Xbox One is in Standby mode (still connected to the network) it does interfere with the Xbox 360 in my living room. This was not an issue with my older router.

The Xbox 360 in my room does experience intermittent connection loss from Xbox Live, whether the Xbox One is in Standby mode or not. If i power cycle and reboot the router and my Xbox 360; I can watch Netflix for a good 4 hours with no problems. 

Both Xbox 360s connect to 2.4Ghz band due to it being better for distance. My other Xbox One is on the 5ghz band. The Xbox One supports the newer AC standard so it doesn't have problems connecting or maintaining a connection. The Xbox 360 is on the older Wireless N standard has the issue. I understand the router is compatible will all standards, but it doesn't work on older devices. At this point I'm not sure if I should replace the router with a non-intel SoC or use my old Belkin router as an AP just for this console. Thanks.

Options
2020-06-19 22:43:26

@Mario_V 

If having two Xbox systems, one has issues and the other does not I would focus on the Xbox.

You could swap the Xbox locations to see if it is a distance issue. If the issue follows the Xbox then you know it is something with the wireless card in the system. If the swapped Xbox now has connection issues I would look at either running an Ethernet cable or having another device grab the Wi-Fi like an extender and run an Ethernet cable from it to the Xbox.

Options
2020-06-20 01:03:41 - last edited 2020-06-20 01:04:24

@Tony 

Moving the Xbox 360 improved the connection. I still believe it's the router. My older router never dropped the connection. It just couldn't handle more than 10 devices. The network would slow down. 

Either way I am using a Linksys AE6400 Extender in my room. I am currently testing this set up. I will report if connection has improved. Thanks.

Options
2020-06-23 21:52:47 - last edited 2020-06-23 21:55:28

@Tony 

After using a Dual Band WiFi extender with an Ethernet connection, the Xbox 360 in my room is working. It doesn't loose connection. The Linksys RE6400 I'm using has a stable connection with the AX3000. 

I'm still not sure why the Xbox 360's wireless N connection drops. But I'll use this set up for now.

The Xbox 360 and Xbox One in my living room work fine. 

I hope the One Mesh firmware upgrade comes soon. I would prefer to buy tp-link extenders that can function as a Mesh system with my current router. Thanks

Options
2021-06-06 02:57:16

@Mario_V 

I've a similar issue. My Xbox 360 connected and worked fine with one active router. When I add a second deco device, Xbox gets an IP address of 169.* and doesn't connect to internet. Multiple restarts of Xbox, both deco routers didn't solve the problem. I disconnected the WiFi in Xbox settings and tried to reconnect. That is when Xbox threw a warning that multiple networks with same name exist and to name them uniquely. I turned off 1 deco device, the warning went away and Xbox connected to internet. I'm now turning off one deco device whenever I'm using Xbox 360.

Options
2021-06-08 08:10:44

@ShivaK 

I have that issue on my Xbox One when it's in Energy Saving mode or I happen to restart the system. It gets a 0.0.0.0 or 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP and cannot connect when IP settings on the Xbox is set to Automatic. I have to disable the wireless connection and reconnect to the AX3000. That usually fixes the issue. The other fix, would be to assign a Static IP on the Xbox in order to connect to the router and switch back to Automatic. Since then I just leave my Xbox One in Standby Mode to avoid connectivity issues. The connection problem is from the router not being able to communicate with the devices....those are my workarounds. Still no new firmware on this AX3000.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1997

Replies: 7