Slow speeds with Windows 7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-09 13:30:59
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20200301

I bought this router to replace my still functioning Cisco Linksys E1500.  My ISP provides 200+ megabit service.  A cable tech tested this at my modem and got 229 Mbps.  My PC has a Gigabit NIC.  When I direct connected the modem to the NIC, I got >220 Mbps.  I also boot into Ubuntu via an external HDD on the same PC.  I also get download speeds >220 Mbps.  However when I am in Windows, I rarely get >100 Mbps and often way less.  My old router conststently connected my at ca: 90 Mbps and this is just a fast ethernet router, not a gigabit router like the AX1500 is supposed to be.

As this PC is used with a wired connection, I have temporarily disabled Wifi, but that did not help the cause.  I need to get better performance out of this unit or I am considering returning it.  I have not made a lot of changes to the default configuration and am hoping someone can give me some insight into why this unit cannot seem to outperform a much older unit.

Thanks

Options
12 Reply
Re:Slow speeds with Windows 7
2020-07-09 18:25:23

@Larryb205 

Steal the cable from the AX1500 WAN port to test if it is >200 Mbps, which sounds like it is, but just to verify. If you are getting <100 Mbps from the cable from your computer to the router, then swap that out. Even if the cable is brand new, try any other cable(s). If you have not done so, factory reset the AX1500 by holding the reset for 15 seconds, and leave it defaulted while you test.

Options
2020-07-09 19:00:53

@Larryb205 I did swap out the installed ethernet cable for the one supplied by TPlink.  I would have done this right away except the cable they supplied was only 3 feet long and would not reach from the modem to the router.  After some major cable reconfiguration, I did swap the cable.  I am now getting burst speeds of up to 160, but then it drops off sometimes very rapidly and then tapers off usually <100.

I still get >200 while in Ubuntu.  Not sure why the perhaps bad cable would give great results in Linux, but not Windows.  I shut down everything at night so the router is refreshed everyday.

Anything else I could tweak in the router settings?

Thanks for the reply

Options
2020-07-10 13:57:51

@Larryb205 Back to way less than spectacular speeds today.  81 on a more distant site and 63 on a closer site.

Options
2020-07-10 14:57:24

@Larryb205 I ran another speed test at the closer site and got a 63.  I cleared my browser cache, shut down and hooked up my old router.  I rebooted and ran another test and got an 88.  I am going to need some help getting this working right or it is going to be returned.

Thanks

Options
2020-07-10 16:04:37

@Larryb205 

So your Linux machine is above 200 Mbps, but not your Windows machine?

Options
2020-07-10 18:00:13

@Tony As I ststed before, these are the SAME machine.  I use a USB external HDD to boot into Linux.  The data from the router passes through the same NIC and hardware as the Windows OS uses.

Options
2020-07-10 18:30:13

@Larryb205 

Have you tried on W7 deleting/forgetting the connection? Sometimes I think it 'remembers' things from the old connection and that interferes with the speed. Especially so if you use the same userid and password from before.

Options
2020-07-10 18:47:06

@IrvSp A new connection was created.  That connection is what is listed on the networled icon in the systray.

Options
2020-07-11 11:50:55
I agree with @IrvSp that it sounds more like it is your PC and not the router. If the router can support faster speeds when using Linux there is no reason it would not also support it when in Windows mode as in theory, the computer should be sending the same packets. Linux and Windows each have there own software controlling the network drivers and that is where I would suspect the issue to be. Can you borrow another PC with Windows 7 or a higher speed router and check the speed?
Options
2020-07-11 13:23:19

@ArcherC8 I ran 1 test earluer this morning with Windows in safe mode with networking and got 230.  This shows that something in my configuration is limiting the amount of throughput.  Here is my dilema, my older router which is capped to 100 routinely puts out around 90 or 90% of its capped limit.  Whereas this router is often way below even 90 and I have seen it in the 40's.

I had 2 results yesterday that were 63 each.  5 minutes later after the 2nd test, I had my old router hooked up and got 88.  All of the same software was running for all of these tests except for the safe boot test today.  I should at least be able to match the speed of the old router.  Something is really inconsistent.

I will continue to do more testing including a safe boot test when I expect more internet traffic than when I tested this morning.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1100

Replies: 12

Related Articles