Is my AC2300 shorting out my modem?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-18 16:21:38
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20180611 Rel. 77668

I've got an Archer C2300 router providing wifi for my house and its connected to a Ubee cable modem (Spectrum is the ISP).

I've been having intermittent internet problems; several times a day, most often at night, the cable modem will lose connection and have to reacquire.  Had the ISP tech come out and check all the outside cables, and everything seems good.  He uses a voltmeter and checks the cat-5 cable connecting the router to the modem and says that the cat-5 coming from the C2300 router is has a 70+ volt charge.  This is shorting the cable modem and causing it to reboot.  I'll be testing this hypothesis later today but first, I wondered if this was at all possibly true?  Is this working as intended?  

Options
1 Reply
Re:Is my AC2300 shorting out my modem?
2020-07-19 22:35:03
What did your test find? 70 volts sounds very high but I am not an electronic engineer. The adapter for most routers steps the house voltage down to 12v DC. Are you using the power adapter that came with the router? Have you tried a different cable between the router and modem? Have you tried connecting a PC direct to the modem and see if you have any intermittent internet problems? Also by chance do you have a power cord running along side of the Ethernet cable as there is the possibility of capacitive inductance.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 385

Replies: 1

Related Articles