Unable to access Ethernet-connected Airplay devices from wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-21 02:58:38
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.16299(5553)

After replacing my previous router with an Archer A20 (Archer C4000), I can longer access any Airplay devices from a wifi device such as an iPhone. All Airplay devices are connected to the router via ethernet, and I've confirmed they all show up on the Network map. I can stream to them from and other device that is connected to the network via etherent, but simply cannot connect to them from a wifi device. 

The setup has worked flawlessly for years with my previous router, and I re-tested by swapping out the Archer with the old. Everything worked as expected.

It's as if ethernet devices and wifi devices are on two separate networks (but only the airplay devices). Ethernet and wifi devices can otherwise connect without issue. For example, I can airdrop files from iPhones to desktop macs just fine.

If it helps, these are the ethernet-connected Airplay devices:

- Apple Airport Express Gen 2

- Apple TV Gen 4

- Klipsch G-17 Airplay speaker

I can send audio to these devices all day from my mac mini (ethernet), but not from my iPhone.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Options
4 Reply
Re:Unable to access Ethernet-connected Airplay devices from wifi
2020-07-21 12:40:49
Something to try. When the WIFI router is changed and the same SSID and password is used, sometimes you need to delete (forget) the network and re-establish on the device that is not working.
Options
2020-07-21 18:15:50 - last edited 2020-07-21 18:18:10

@ArcherC8 

Thanks for the reply! I reset all devices (had them forget their networks), powered down everything and restarted. Then re-setup everything. 

No luck. I do see the ethernet-connected devices just fine in the admin tools, I just can't get Airplay to work from an iPhone to any Airplay-capable device that is connected via ethernet.

Thanks,

Jeff

Options
2020-07-23 13:37:28

Airplay uses Bonjour. I really don't know what that means, but I wonder if that has anything to do with the issue.

Options
2020-07-24 11:57:20

@jeff-the-chef 

Intersting? I've got an A20 V1, and on my iPad I've got RanySoft's Ace Player. I use it to access video's on the USB drive I've got ripped DVD's on. Works fine?

The USB drive also shows as a Samba Server?

I'm using Windows 10 and also can access the drive wirelessly, using different programs like VLC which also has a mobile version.

Put Ace Player or VLC on your phone, both can play audio, maybe they will work?

I recall at one time I did have an AirPlay problem and I had to get a different app on the iPad? Might have been an iPadOS update that caused a problem?

Options