VR2800 USB Local Storage problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-22 11:42:26
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I attached a USB stick into the USB port on my VR2800 Archer router so I can share files downloaded from my computer with my andriod tablet/phone.

I believe I have set it up properly in the USB sharing section where it is looking at a folder called G://Shared which has an mp3 in it.

But now on my windows 10 computer I cannot access that G:// drive anywhere - if I look at Windows Explorer or in Network there is no sign of it at all.

And what really does not help is that the pdf that is supposed to tell you what to at
'https://www.tp-link.com/us/technology-library/tp-link-router-with-versatile-usb-connectivity/#Local-Storage-Sharing' is corrupt so you cant read any of it.

So can someone tell me please what the hell i do now after setting it up so that my computer/android devices can see it and use it?

Thanks

Options
10 Reply
Re:VR2800 USB Local Storage problem
2020-07-22 11:50:32
• Windows 10 o Press the Windows Key and R o Enter \\192.168.0.1 • Apple OS o Open a Browser (Chrome, Safari, …) o Enter SMB://192.168.0.1 o Select to open in finder
Options
2020-07-22 12:05:03

Entering \\192.168.0.1 brings up Error dialog box saying

Windows cannot access \\192.168.0.1

diagnostics says device or resource (192.168.0.1) is not responding

Options
2020-07-22 12:51:42
Use your router address. It may be 192.168.1.1
Options
2020-07-22 13:16:21

@contino 

Windows 10 can be the cause here.

First, most routers use NetBIOS to access the Shares. Using Windows Explorer you can verify this on your PC.

The above is from my W10 PC looking at the network. The Discovery Method column is not the default but just click on VIEW and then towards the center, Add Columns to select it.

The reason is because NetBIOS requires SMB 1 to be used. MS has 'turned this off' as it can be a security problem. SMB 3 is more secure, but most routers do not have this implemented.

So you have to TURN ON SMB 1 Client (not the server) to make the share visible. This link shows how to enable SMB 1, https://www.tachytelic.net/2019/09/windows-10-enable-smb1/.

You might also want to look at these web links for more info/details.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-access-files-network-devices-using-smbv1-windows-10

Options
2020-07-22 13:22:36

Ok now I get an error dialog box saying

'You cannot connect to the file share because it is not secure. The share requires the obselete SMB1 protocol which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher

Options
2020-07-22 14:18:16

Thanks @IrvSp 

Did what you said and can now see the Drive in Network but when trying to access the shared folder I get a credentials login dialog box and I have no idea what i should be putting in as username/password...

Options
2020-07-22 15:48:25

@contino 

My appologies... I should have brought that up too.

Depending on who the network is setup, you might need credentials to access shares. You've not set that up, so that is why you see it. That warning about SMB 1 was also an 'MS' thing, which is correct in this case to ignore. While it is true, if you have up to date Security Suite, they, in most cases, will protect you. Especially if you didn't enable the SMB 1 Server.

Back to the Credentials, I need them on my network so I can access the various computers read/write/execute files from them.

You can turn off that feature (on by default I think?):

I keep it on since we have had people in the house (guests and grandkids) that connect and I'm sometimes too lazy to enable the Guest network, especially if they want to use the printer.

As for the Credential that it is asking for, it requires your PC's sign-on credentials, generally either your Windows Sign-in or Local Credentials. All you need do is CREATE one using the Credential Manager. This is what mine looks like for comparison:

Now in the above I'm not even sure why I have the TPLink_Share2? I think I had that name for the share before...

Actually, I think the router IP Address itself is the one that is used as my Share name on the router is different:

You'll probably need to create one and then you'll not be prompted.

Options
2020-07-23 10:58:18

@IrvSp 

Thanks again for your help - so I turned off the Password Protection hoping I wouldn't see the credentials dialog box again but it still appears. Then I added credentials for my router including giving it a user name and the simplest password imaginable - the user name comes up automatically but when I put in the simple password it's still not happy!!

To be honest this is something that is not important, I didn't realise what a can of worms this would bring up and I really dont want to waste anyones time with it any more. I still cant even work out how my android devices would be able to download from it.

Options
2020-07-23 13:25:15

@contino 

It can't be any credentials, it needs to be your PC's credentials or the Routers credentails.

Also, check your manual, page 33 (https://static.tp-link.com/1910012125_Archer%20VR2800(EU)_V1_UG.pdf).  Also page 34 on if Authentication is enabled.

Options
2020-07-23 13:46:37
If you have AUTHENTICATION on then the credentials are what you access the router with. I had set mine up eon's ago, with 2 other routers prior. I just checked my Advanced USB settings and I have it off, and I now remember why, my Smart TV couldn't access it nor my iPad (well, not all applications) as it can't handle the credential prompt.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1046

Replies: 10