Archer C7 owner noticing several issues: no HFS+ support, devices list empty, no night mode on AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C7 owner noticing several issues: no HFS+ support, devices list empty, no night mode on AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:Archer C7 owner noticing several issues: no HFS+ support, devices list empty, no night mode on AP
2020-07-24 21:34:30

@RHAERSER 

Interesting:

RHAERSER wrote

Since the computer is not going to access the disk itself, it only needs to have matching file protocol support. I did see that the guide says the protocol prefix for connections to the server in Apple machines to be "smb://" so I assume it's the only one it supports. There's no mention if it's version 1, 2, or 3 or if the Archer C7 supports other file protocols like AFS or NFS, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It would be good if TP-Link Tony could categorically confirm which file protocols are supported, and which SMB versions.

My devices talk SMB up to v3.0.2 but the stability of the C7's file server feature remains to be seen. I hope I don't have a problem with it.

SMB can also mean SAMBA, not Server Message Block.

When I do a NET VIEW on my Windows PC I see this:

======================

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

------------------------------------------------
\\IRV-PC        Irv's PC
\\TP-SHARE             samba server
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net view \\tp-share
Shared resources at \\tp-share

samba server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

------------------------------------------------
G           Disk
The command completed successfully.

=======================

Yes, the Windows PC has to use SMB1 to 'talk' to the share. That is for a different reason, here is what Windows Explorer reports for the Discovery Method for the devices:

This is my PC connected to an Archer A20 where the TP-Share is a 2TB USB drive. To access NetBIOS you need to use SMB1. If the router f/w was using Web Services on Devices (WSD) then SMB2 or 3 could be used.

Have you tried using a Samba Client?

Options
Re:Archer C7 owner noticing several issues: no HFS+ support, devices list empty, no night mode on AP
2020-07-24 22:13:07

@IrvSp My problem is that my Archer C7 doesn't recognize the HFS+ volumes on my USB hard drive, so it'll take a bit more work until I can get to the part of actually connecting to the network share. Thanks for the advice!

Options
2020-07-24 23:44:22

@RHAERSER 

Is that drive a newer Western Digital drive, the one that comes pre-formatted for Apple and Windows? The MyBook that looks like this, http://products.wdc.com/library/AAG/ENG/4178-707230.pdf? The one I'm using is that model. I had to format it to NTFS to make it work. I think some routers do not allow the USB drive to be partitioned, that is more than one 'drive letter'?

Matter of fact, the C7 manual on line you might want to read, https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/archer-a7&c7_v5/usb-settings-us-4.0 and specifically Chapter 9, 1. Access the USB Storage drive and from it:

===========

Insert your USB storage device into the router’s USB port and then access files stored there locally or remotely.

Tips:

If you use USB hubs, make sure no more than 4 devices are connected to the router.

If the USB storage device requires using bundled external power, make sure the external power has been connected.

If you use a USB hard drive, make sure its file system is FAT32 or NTFS.

Before you physically disconnect a USB device from the router, safely remove it to avoid data damage: Go to Advanced > USB Settings > Device Settings and click .

===========

Where did you see other filesystems are supported?

Check this link too, https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/156377

#7 from Kevin_Z (TP-link)

" Archer C7 V5 supports fat32 and ntfs now " which was posted 14 months ago.

The link above is for the V5 Manual on this site. You have probably looked at a different version V1 - V4 maybe? I checked those and none of the ones before V5 mention the filesystem for USB? The link you gave has an EUUS in it? Was this purchased in Europe? Wonder if they have different f/w?

Options
2020-07-25 11:56:14
https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/archer-a7&c7_v5/usb-settings-us-4.0 Google "Archer C7", click on the TP Link site, click on support, click on the user guide is how I got there in case you need to research other routers. I might point out that this is for the US model. A model from a different country may have different features and functions. For Apple, I use Firefox or Safari, and enter SMB://192.168.0.1 in the command line and follow the prompts to get to my USB router drive. Then go to finder or whatever.
Options
2020-07-25 16:14:37

@RHAERSER 

That's a newer version of the manual. The one I posted is stamped v4.2.0 from 2018-05-11 and this one is stamped v5.1.1 from 2020-01-13. I went to the TP-Link downloads section and downloaded the manuals from both hardware versions, V4 and V5, just in case the number was referring to hardware versions and not manual revisions, and both say the same thing. This means the one I had bookmarked is an old version and support for exFAT and HFS+ volumes was indeed nixed at some point in time.

I'll have to reformat this drive in order to continue using it. I continue to have doubts about which SMB protocol versions are supported by the C7's Samba server (if it's v1, I need to manually install support for it on my Windows PCs) but that's not really important now.

I'm only missing answers to my question about the "zero devices connected". To test my suspicions, I'll enable the DHCP server outside the scope of the ISP modem's DHCP server and see if devices are counted this time.

Options
2020-07-25 21:16:14

@RHAERSER 

The C7 had 5 hardware and software versions. Which do you have is the question? Checking the version number listed vs. other reports with the f/w version number indicates it is a V5 as you listed.

The '0' for devices attached indicates just that, none are attached to the router but I think your ISP's modem/router. Check the device's IP Address. Modem/Router's will generally use the 192.168.x.1 IP Address where 'x' usually would be '0' or could be '1'. If that matches what the C7 is set to, well, the device will have a hard time figuring out which to connect to. If they are different IP Addresses, there is a good chance the device connected to the wrong 'router'. Doesn't explain how you could even see the USB drive though if you connected the the ISP's device and the USB drive is on your router with a different sub-net?

Doesn't even explain how the 'old Apple router' was able to work, which I assume also had the USB drive on it? Was it possible the Apple router was in Access Point mode?.

Options
2020-07-27 02:21:16

IrvSp wrote

@RHAERSER 

The C7 had 5 hardware and software versions. Which do you have is the question? Checking the version number listed vs. other reports with the f/w version number indicates it is a V5 as you listed.

The '0' for devices attached indicates just that, none are attached to the router but I think your ISP's modem/router. Check the device's IP Address. Modem/Router's will generally use the 192.168.x.1 IP Address where 'x' usually would be '0' or could be '1'. If that matches what the C7 is set to, well, the device will have a hard time figuring out which to connect to. If they are different IP Addresses, there is a good chance the device connected to the wrong 'router'. Doesn't explain how you could even see the USB drive though if you connected the the ISP's device and the USB drive is on your router with a different sub-net?

Doesn't even explain how the 'old Apple router' was able to work, which I assume also had the USB drive on it? Was it possible the Apple router was in Access Point mode?.

@IrvSp  I think you're a bit confused.

I had an old Apple router in bridge mode and it worked very well for over a decade until it started having issues, so I bought the C7 to replace it. The C7 is not a 1:1 replacement, because it's been confirmed that it doesn't support HFS+ volumes, and it also doesn't support AFP (I may have mixed AFS -Apple File System- with the network file service protocol AFP -Apple File Protocol- in this thread and muddied the waters a bit. I regret the error.) and Time Machine.

Regarding the USB drive, I'm going to repartition/reformat to be able to continue using it with the C7. No big deal.

On the network topology front, the C7 is the only wireless AP in my home (I was using only one Apple Airport before), so there's no confusion over which wireless AP the devices are connecting to. As was the case with the Apple Airport in bridge mode, the C7 is operating in AP mode and its DHCP server is turned off. That's why I say that the '0' for attached devices is wrong as wrong can be: because I have wired and wireless devices connected to the C7 and none show up on the web interface. I haven't been able to test the DHCP server yet, as the C7 is the only wireless AP in the house and I can't be without internet even one moment. I'll get to it in the next few days.

Options
2020-07-28 02:59:05 - last edited 2020-07-28 16:19:44

@RHAERSER 

Backed up my USB drive, connected it to a Windows 10 2004 PC, partitioned it with a single partition and formatted it with NTFS. I immediately went and connected it to the Archer C7 to try (because I'm not so dumb so as to wait until I restore all the files to perform connection testing) and lo and behold, it's recognized now!

Windows PCs were ok, but Macs refused to connect until I disabled packet signing.

@Tony I think you should add a note to the appropriate FAQ to let your Mac customers know they may need to disable packet signing for computers running 10.13.3 or earlier (it's off by default on 10.13.4 and up). Or enable packet signing in this product... Here's the Apple document detailing the issues and workaround: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205926

Options
2020-08-17 22:09:59

@RHAERSER 

Ended up returning it. Too many problems, too many shortcomings, too many compromises, and TP-Link support was also suprisingly unhelpful.

Options
Related Articles