Archer C7: Wifi is way slower than ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-25 00:56:34
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.14.3 Build 150508 Rel.42275n

Hi there,

I have a 200 mb with Spectrum. When I connect via Ethernet, I can get around 200mb download speed. But if I use Wifi (5G), the speed is only around 20m..... 

Any one know what I should do?

Thanks so much for the help.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C7: Wifi is way slower than ethernet
2020-07-25 11:27:04
Distance is a factor as is interference. You should try using a specific channel and bandwidth. 5Ghz tends to be faster and 2.4Ghz is better for distance. Power cycle the modem, router and PC as that sometimes helps. Also test using a different device as sometimes the speed issue may be in the device.
Options
Re:Archer C7: Wifi is way slower than ethernet
2020-07-25 14:16:18

GavinCh wrote

Hi there,

I have a 200 mb with Spectrum. When I connect via Ethernet, I can get around 200mb download speed. But if I use Wifi (5G), the speed is only around 20m..... 

Any one know what I should do?

Thanks so much for the help.

@GavinCh 

Any ISP will tell you that speed tests should be done via an Ethernet cable, not wireless.

However, some more data here might help.

• What OS are you running?
  • Did you get different speed before with another router?
  • Are there other wireless devices you can test with?
  • Have you tried changing the Channel number on the 5Ghz SSID and retested? Did it improve?
  • Since your wireless can connect to 5Ghz, it is probably Dual-Speed. Can it connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID and what speed does it test at?
  • Make and model of the Network wireless adapter, OS drive version for adapter, location of the device.
  • Does the ISP provide the modem and is it a router as well, make and model of it please.

One thing that can cause wireless problems is interference. Network Scanner's can help here. They will display your device power and relationship of where others nearby are. Acrylic Network Tool for Windows (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/downloads-free-license-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/download-wifi-scanner-windows/) is such a program. Not on Windows, search for Network Tool in the OS store and install one and see what it shows.

Here is the output of Acrylic on my wireless PC:

I have a Tri-band router, hence 2 5Ghz SSID's. Although the higher one had 3 other SSID's in the same band space, my power is much larger and those do not bother me. The other 5Ghz SSID has no other's transmitting in my area.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 917

Replies: 2

Related Articles