WA855RE Range Extender - Adding 8dB Outside Antenna

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-29 16:17:06 - last edited 2020-07-29 16:53:01
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: US 4.8

I purchased the WA855RE Wi-Fi Range Extender to replace my EnGenius ENS202ENT Client-Bridge, as the Public AP that I have been accessing at the Campground for the last 5 years in my RV. The Campground has added a "Splash Page" for pass-word entry, which the ENS202ENT wants nothing to do with (yes even contacted EnGenius support). 

So, just for fun, I purchased a WA855RE and since it is not an outdoor model, I need to replace the antenna(s) on the WA855RE with my 8dB outdoor antenna. I have the (uFL, IPEX, IPAX, IPX, MHF whichever acronym you use) cable adapter to connect to your printed circuit board and a SMA/N adapter to connect to my 8dB EnGenius Wi-Fi antenna.

My question is since the WA855RE is going to be inside, with 120VAC outlet and the Wi-Fi antenna is outside and I have an extension antenna cable from the antenna on the roof to the WA855RE which antenna connection on the circuit board is for the antenna that connects to the AP. Is the AP antenna the Gray antenna wire or Black antenna wire on the printed circuit board? The WA855RE's RJ45 connector goes to my D-Link Wi-Fi router. 

The current set up using the unit’s antennas works fine, but the signal from the AP is not strong enough. Speed test inside (at my laptop) is 1.5mb, outside on the roof (test) is 25mB (at my laptop inside).

RV Setup:    AP<><><><> WA855RE<><><><> D-Link Wi-Fi Router <><><><> (Laptop, (2) iPhones, Media Center, (2) Raspberry Pi's) 

I know that I could just try one and then the other, but I want to get everything together so that it will be a non-event item when I convert.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Don

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand. Benjamin Franklin
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 522

Replies: 0

Related Articles