TP-Link Archer C9 randomly rebooting :(

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-02 10:29:54
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20190403 Rel 63839 (4555)

Morning all :)

Pretty much the same as this other thread, my Archer C9 keeps randomly rebooting ... there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to why it does :(

Have moved the Ethernet lead into another port on my Modem, and also replaced the Ethernet lead with another one.  Still keeps happening .. so infuritaing.  It's been fine for months, rock steady - no issues at all.  No new devices connected, latest firmware installed.  I've even factory reset it.

Screenshots of the Log below;

Happy to post a list of devices connected if needed - these are all iphones, MacBooks, iPads, and various Smart devices ...

There's clearly a problem, as I'm not the only one to suffer with this, so come on TP-Link support .... let's work on a solution

Options
69 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer C9 randomly rebooting :(
2020-08-02 12:30:06
Some things I would try. Be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router. Check for power issues such as spikes (run an extension cord to a outlet on a different powered circuit to test as something like a starting motor on the A/C unit can cause a spike especially if it short cycles). If using a UPS, be sure it has a good battery and not over loaded as that can cause power issues on some UPSs. Also try without the UPS as the sine wave from the UPS may cause some electronics an issue. If using a USB drive, be sure it is not draining to much power as some drives require a powered hub. You can try testing without the USB drive connected. One of your devices may be causing the issue as a router can be rebooted based on a signal from a device for example you can reboot the router using the Tether app. The router may be misinterpreting some message.
Options
2020-08-03 17:04:19

@KernowLad 

The solution to the other thread mentioned was a faulty Ethernet cable. To see if that may be for you as well, disconnect any wired LAN connection to the router, only have Wi-Fi connectivity.

Options
2020-08-03 17:44:33

@Tony 

The only wired RJ45 connection is the link from the modem to the Archer C9.

If I disconnect that, then the Archer C9 won't provide me with any internet.  With that in mind (and as stated, the Ethernet cable has already been replaced with a brand new one) then that rules out the Ethernet cable being suspect.

Options
2020-08-03 19:53:41
If multiple quality Ethernet cables gives the same result, then it is low probability it is the cable. However, if you are assuming the cable is good because it is new, note that we had one poster report receiving a bad cable with the router.
Options
2020-08-08 09:35:18

@ArcherC8 

Fair point - I've also replaced it with a Ethernet cable I made myself (I'm a telecom engineer worjking for a Multi National Company) so will see how this one performs ...

It's so frustrating - The C9 has been performing flawlessly for months, with no equiment changes whatsoever, now it's playing up

Options
2020-09-24 23:25:23

@KernowLad 

please update us if you found the solution to the C9 randomly rebooting; mine started doing so with the exact same log. 

Options
2020-10-21 07:37:46

@KernowLad 

Looks a bit like mine

Options
2020-10-27 19:56:26

@MrDaFoe looks like we're all going through the same thing... a head TP-Link is supposed to be emailing me back today abt this issue, so I'll let you guys know if it's anything of substance.  

Options
2020-10-28 16:54:04

@KernowLad 

I'll join the club on this one. C9 rebooting 3-4 times per day, no pattern, latest firmware etc etc. Tech Support Level 1 and 2 no of great help. Now waiting for contact from senior engineer apparently. Not holding out much hope. Given number of people who seem to be having the same issue, I would have expected they would have had acknowledged an issue. I have a sinking feeling this is going to result in a new router and it won't be TP-Link, which is a shame.

Options
2020-10-28 19:38:53
I just starting running into this also. Archer C9 v5, working great for years. Now has rebooted in the middle of my work day two weeks in a row. Can't find anything useful in the logs, just a lot of config import errors from the led-controller.
Options