Spectrum and TP-Link communication issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-03 02:30:27
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.12

Had some issues with Spectrum and a TP-Link Archer C3150. After month of complaining they ended up running a brand new line and putting in a new modem. Things worked for a while and then the drops started again. The drops do not occur on the modem but on the router. There are three solid connection lights on the modem and after a reboot the modem everything comes back up, but 3-4 drops a day and restarting the modem is annoying. Spectrum does not see any drops on their side and there are no disconnections. I decided to upgrade to the TP-Link Deco M9 Plus today. Setup was smooth and easy and the internet was faster. After two hours the disconnect happened again. Spectrum sees no drops on there side. I reboot the modem and everything comes back up. Why is this an issue with TP-Link products? What steps can I take to fix this? I am about done with TP-Link as they are the common denominator in all these drops. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:Spectrum and TP-Link communication issue
2020-08-03 12:16:23
If two different models of router gives you the same error, it makes me think that it is not the routers. To start, I would replace the Ethernet cable with a quality one between the router and modem. Do not assume that a new cable is good. Another thing to try is to bypass the router and connect the PC direct to the modem and run it for a while and see if you encounter any issues. And another thing that can cause issues is your power. Are you using the power adapters that came with the devices (modem and router). Are you running a UPS? If so try without it as they can cause issues especially when the battery starts to fail. Try a different wall plug that is on a different breaker. And it could also be one of your devices causing an issue. Try not connecting any Ethernet nor USB devices for a test.
Options
2020-08-03 16:39:39

@Quasty 

This sounds like a device, environments, or cable problem to me?

I'd try thinking what was going on when the signal dropped?

Was it only wired or wireless that lost the Internet?

If wired devices are in use, try each one individually, and leave it connected for sufficient time for the problem to occur. Could be a cable or adapter problem.

Same goes for a wireless device, but it would be less likely to cause the drop?

Power issue could be involved here, a momentary spike or noice on the line. Try a different outlet for the router to test.

Options
2020-08-03 20:13:01

@Quasty 

Verify if what Spectrum says is true by logging into the modem and looking at the system logs (not the TP-Link router). If you are still seeing critical 3 or critical 4 errors, then your signal is not stable causing the random internet drops.

Options
2020-08-03 20:30:25

@Quasty 

As a follow on to what @Tony said, usually using the URL 192.168.100.1 will get you to Spectrum's modem (I also have Spectrum as my ISP). However, the newer DOCSIS 3.1 modems (usually with Voice) are LOCKED and you don't know the password. If you have an 'older' Arris, then this URL should work, http://192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/status_cgi. Usually they have the DEFAULT UserID and Password of 'admin' and 'password'. In some cases, there could be a label on the bottom as well with the credentials. Good luck.

Options
2020-11-13 01:31:55
Having similar issues past 30 days with dropped internet and a new Spectrum Modem and separate Spectrum router feeding my new TP SG1016PE smart switch which feeds whole house Cat6e network. Spectrum coming out In morning. Will update here. Rebooting constantly. The Spectrum app is helping manage the network, but something not right.
Options
2020-12-03 23:14:57

@Quasty I'm having the same issues with the internet dropping. I talked to my VOiP provider and they told me to get a 1G TP Link Router, either A7 or C7. I got the C7 today and the drops are way worse. I'm troublshooting it now to see what I can do.

Options
2020-12-04 15:16:42

@CindyAllstate 

If 2 different routers are doing this, the problem more than likely is NOT the router.

Questionable cable between the router and modem would be the easiest to check by using a different one.

Original subject is about Spectrum, not specifically a router. If you don't have Spectrum, or if you do, try to look at the STATUS page of your modem using the above URL (ir if works). If not, explain to your ISP you had the problem with 2 routers, so it is either the modem or your incomming line. They can check the Modem for problems and see the log/status and signal levels. Even press them to send a tech out and verify.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 13900

Replies: 7