Keep Losing Internet Connection to Modem - Archer C9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-05 01:09:48 - last edited 2020-08-05 01:14:07
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, I just purchased a new Archer AC1900 C9 wireless router. I paired it with an Arris router/modem combo device, which previously was used alone and kept getting congested and losing connection. Upon setting up the C9, internet speeds were 3x faster and I was very happy. However, on the first night using it, it lost connection two times. We are currently using 1 wired ethernet connection and 7 wireless connections. Is this too many devices? Do I need to purchase a different modem as well? I used dynamic IP during set up if that helps and I'm from the US. Thank you.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Keep Losing Internet Connection to Modem - Archer C9
2020-08-05 11:39:44
First, that is not to many devices for your router. Since you were having connection issues when using the Asus gateway and you are still using it, I would suspect the gateway, your wiring, or your ISP. Since it works fine for a period of time, I would not think it is in your setup. If you lose only WIFI but not the Ethernet, then it could be some type of interference. If your gateway has logs, review them to see if you have any events around the time of the outages. Try a different Ethernet cable between the Gateway and the router. Check your RG6 wires going into the Gateway. Ensure the connectors are clean, solid, and tight. Remove them, check them, and reattach them. If there are other connectors in the ISP wires such as TVs, spliters, and such, check all of those connections including where it connects outside the house.
Options
2020-08-05 11:52:27

@ArcherC8 Thank you for replying! However, unfortunately I was mistaken re the model I purchased. It's the Archer A9, not the Archer C9. The reason I brought up the number of devices is that I noticed that the C9 is a dual core processor router and the A9 is a single core. This link: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/150601 led me to believe that 8-9 devices may be too much for the A9. 

Would this new information change your original answer? In the meantime, I will certainly check into what you originally advised. Thanks again!

Options
2020-08-05 13:49:56

@Trahwerdna 

Might want to look at this thread too as it compares the two, https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/157681

A lot goes into 'performance' and 'how many devices' one can 'handle'. First would be how many are using the router at the same time? 10 camera's live connected to a PC via the router sending data continually is not the same as 5 PC's/Laptops connected but inactive along with 5 cell phones that have IP Address but only one in use.

Note that the A9 also had less RAM complicating things.

To me, this initial comment you included might be more important, " I paired it with an Arris router/modem combo device, which previously was used alone and kept getting congested and losing connection. "

First this is that you had the problem before? Second is what do you mean by 'congestion'? I could understand slow loading of web pages, pauses in sreaming or even pixelating, but congestion?

Also the Arris is a modem/router. When you attach a modem to a modem/router, your ISP (unless you own the Arris) must put the unit into BRIDGE MODE, essentially turn off the wireless router function, otherwise you might experience interference.

You can access the Arris using 192.168.100.1 in the URL location in a browser. Usually you can get right in, but you might need the UserID and Password, general default for there is 'admin', but some use that only for UserID and the P/W is 'password' (unless your ISP has changed these). Once on the modem find the LOG and look for errors. More than likely that would cause the drops unless the wired PC did not drop. Then look at the A9's log for reasons why.

Options
2020-08-05 14:39:45

@IrvSp I appreciate your reply, I will definitely check into the log of the Arris as I was able to log into admin account at 192.168.100.1. In regard to your congestion comment, I meant that to mean that basically we have 3 children and 3 adults. One is playing video games near constantly via wired connection, the other two will be on their tablets pretty much all day. Then we have my phone, two other adult phones, my computer (which I work from home at the moment) and lastly I play video games from time to time. By congest, I mean using too much of the bandwith? We only have the 100mbps plan at the moment. Hope this helps. Thank you again so much!

Options
2020-08-05 16:54:07
As far as the router goes, you should be fine. I have the Archer C8 although is dual core is older. I have over 25 devices with security DVR and other cameras. I feed the DVR's eight cameras to a windows laptop through the router 24/7. We also do stream a Samsung TV but no games, Three iPads, iMac, Mac laptop, weather station, VOIP phone system, cell phones, Amazon fire sticks but not used much and an extender to reach a hard to reach place. I have 200 service and many times I get over 200 both wired and when close on WIFI. I feel I have a lot of room left on the router to grow. (I would like a mesh system to replace the router and extender but it is hard to justify cost when my system does what I need). I have my own modem (MB8600) instead of the ISPs modem or gateway. The modem may be a bit of overkill but I wanted to future proof my connection to the ISP and the cost difference was not that much. It also gives me a lot more up and down channels that my old modem did not support. If you replace the gateway with your own modem, be sure to get one recommended by your ISP.
Options
2020-08-05 17:49:45

@Trahwerdna 

I have a lot of devices on our A20... probably faster and more powerful, but still 12 devices usually. I can count on 2 PC's active and in use or sitting idle with an occasional 'call home' by a program. 1 iPad usually in use and sometimes 2. Add in a Smart TV and we're watching either NetFlix or Amazon Prime for a few hours per day. 100Mbps service and have NEVER had a problem of stuttering/delay/pixelating on the Streaming (generally only needs 10Mbps at most for that), and well as 2 cell phones on-line.

Games may not exchange that much data and usually aren't a load, at least not like Skype or Zoom is.

Unless you are seeing some web sites stop and start loading, or Streaming pauses or pixelation, you probably are NOT overloading the router. However if QOS is working correctly streaming, video, or voice, shouldn't lag.

My A20 has a Traffic Meter and graph, I'll assume your's does as well. It will show you some data that might help you understand your usage:

I can also get the data hourly as well.

As you can see above the 2 iPad's and the Echo Show are big users. Not showing in the above are the 2 PC's, mine used 18.704 GB's and wife's PC, 6.130Gb's. The Smart TV, used 6.327Gb's and it is heavily used.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2616

Replies: 6

Related Articles