Archer C6 super slow speed both wired/wirless

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-06 21:05:59
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.5 Build 20200630

Today I got this router, plugged in the wan, set it up, upgraded the firmware to latest to get 2 Mbps both on wired and wireless from a connection that produces 500+/500+ when plugged straight into the laptop. My phone gets the same speed.

Tried a bunch of things that I found here and there (nat, nat boost on/off, QoS, factory reset, NAT ALG off/on). Nothing does anything. I tried downgrading the fw to the previous 2 versions (1.3.0 was what it came with).

Had an asus router till now, read good things about this model, but so far a huge disappointment.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer C6 super slow speed both wired/wirless
2020-08-07 12:41:55
I would try powering modem, router and attached devices off, and then power them up one at a time and wait for it to stabilize. Modem, then router, then PC. Also ensure you are using the power adapter than came with the router. Try using different Ethernet cables.
Options
2020-08-07 13:00:51

@ArcherC8 tried and nothing. I switched the device into AP mode earlier today, and suddenly got full speed, but on cable only. This rules out faulty cable (I tried 2 anyway). WiFi is still 2mbps.

Options
2020-08-07 13:30:40
Check the speed with a different device using one of the on-line web sites. Try different channels and width. For more info on WIFI see https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html
Options
2020-08-07 13:36:39

My concern is that the device does not work properly on cable either in router mode. I don't want it to use in AP mode.

Options
2020-08-07 15:53:48
What type of modem do you have? If you need to be in AP mode than the modem or a switch is performing the address resolution. I am guessing your modem may be a gateway (modem/router combo). If so you need to use AP mode unless the router portion of the gateway can be bypassed. The other option is to get a modem compatible with your ISP. Also if you have a gateway, be sure the WIFI is off on it. That can cause issues especially if the SSIDs are the same.
Options
2020-08-07 17:25:48

@szakee 

To go off of what @ArcherC8 was mentioned about the modem/router. Have you tried setting the modem into bridge mode so it turns into only a modem? Pretty much trying to get away from a double NAT network.

Options
2020-08-08 10:38:54

There's no modem. It's an optical cable coming into a GPON CPE, from there to a PoE adapter, from which a cat5e cable is coming out.  This cable can be plugged straight into my notebook, or into the router. I tried with a friends router (an older tp-link), both wired and wifi worked immediately on full speed. So mine seems like a faulty piece, gonna be returning.

Options
2020-08-09 12:59:50

Okay, so seems like the problem is on the provider's end. Talked to them again and it seems they do have to make some change on their side (put the router MAC into their system), which they did not tell me before...

Hopefully will happen tomorrow and hopefully will solve it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1509

Replies: 8