Tried to add a tp-link extender to my tp-link router and now can’t get on wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-07 05:43:36

Archer A6 router just purchased 3 months ago new. 
extender is AC 1750

Options
11 Reply
Re:Tried to add a tp-link extender to my tp-link router and now can’t get on wifi
2020-08-07 12:28:45
More info would help. We assume the extender is the RE450 model. Did you use the quick start guide? Did you use a PC or a MAC as the setup is different. Did you change the default WIFI SSID on the extender and use a different SSID than your main router? If you disconnected a cable to set up the extender, be sure it got reattached correctly. Does unplugging the extender make everything work? Did you power cycle everything after the setup?
Options
Re:Tried to add a tp-link extender to my tp-link router and now can’t get on wifi
2020-08-07 15:29:02

@ArcherC8 

Thank you for replying.

I used the Quick Set Up guide instructions method two for my PC  and the extender only linked with one band so I pushed the wps button on the router again as the directions say to do and then it wouldn't link at all.  So I tried the first method by using my web browser on my computer.  As I was doing that, the screen locked up and shut down the computer.

Luckily my computer restarted but my router lights for Wi-Fi will not come back up.

I don't know if I inadvertently changed my Router SSID number in my panic to get my computer up and running again.  How do I check that?  

Options
2020-08-07 15:54:57

LVNV wrote

@ArcherC8 

As I was doing that, the screen locked up and shut down the computer.

Luckily my computer restarted but my router lights for Wi-Fi will not come back up.

@LVNV 

Did you get a Blue Screen on the PC (assume Windows)? If so and then it shutdown, some programs did something it shouldn't have? Could be your network adapter driver?

It is possible you router was OPEN in the Browser might have corrupted the router firmware, unlikely, but I guess possible?

The router lights are independant from anything else, certainly the wireless light.

Can you access the router again with a browser? If so, ensure the wireless SSID's are ENABLED. If you can not open the router with a browser, do the next step.

To check under Windows to see if the Router IP Address has changed, open a CMD prompt (Windows Key + R and enter CMD) and enter IPCONFIG. In the displayed data, look or 'Default Gateway' as this is the router IP Address. Usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.

Use the data in that field as the URL in the browser, should work then.

Options
2020-08-07 16:05:45
First unplug the extender to take it out of play. Power cycle the modem, router and PC. If you still have an issue, sign on to the router from your PC (most use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or there may be a label on the router for what to use). If you cannot sign on to the router with your user id and password, try the default user id and password as you may have inadvertently did a factory reset. If you did a factory reset, you will need to reenter your settings. If you cannot sign on because you do not get a sign on screen, then do a factory reset, use default user id and password, and reenter your settings.
Options
2020-08-07 16:13:20
The computer screen suddenly turned black and the then Locking Message swirled and the computer shut down. I panicked trying to get it back on. With very little computer skills, the only way I could get it to reboot was to allow it to go back to original reconfigurations??? Now when I search my devices, the router doesn’t appear. I was going to just reinstall it but 🤷🏻‍♀️ Should I just go get a new router and take back the new extender?
Options
2020-08-07 17:38:39

@LVNV 

LVNV wrote

Now when I search my devices, the router doesn’t appear. I was going to just reinstall it but 🤷🏻‍♀️ Should I just go get a new router and take back the new extender?

Well, with no specitic information I can't even hazard a guess other than getting another router and extender probably isn't going to work either.

Very SPECIFIC information would help greatly. Remember, 'we' can't see what you see. So explain everything that you see, try, or do, to help us understand.

Search? How?

" Locking Message swirled ", if one Windows, I don't know what this is/was?

" I panicked trying to get it back on. With very little computer skills, the only way I could get it to reboot was to allow it to go back to original reconfigurations??? " What did you see and what was the exact screen saying?

I sort of suspect your Network Card is dead or not enabled? What DEBUG have you tried?

Again, be specific.

Options
2020-08-07 18:29:47

@IrvSp 

Does any of this help?

IrvSp wrote

@LVNV 

LVNV wrote

Now when I search my devices, the router doesn’t appear. I was going to just reinstall it but 🤷🏻‍♀️ Should I just go get a new router and take back the new extender?

Well, with no specitic information I can't even hazard a guess other than getting another router and extender probably isn't going to work either.

Very SPECIFIC information would help greatly. Remember, 'we' can't see what you see. So explain everything that you see, try, or do, to help us understand.

Search? How?

" Locking Message swirled ", if one Windows, I don't know what this is/was?

" I panicked trying to get it back on. With very little computer skills, the only way I could get it to reboot was to allow it to go back to original reconfigurations??? " What did you see and what was the exact screen saying?

I sort of suspect your Network Card is dead or not enabled? What DEBUG have you tried?

Again, be specific.

Options
2020-08-07 19:07:12
Does you computer work if it is connected with an Ethernet cable direct to the modem bypassing the router? If so we established that your computer and modem (and ISP) are working okay. By chance do you have an Apple computer?
Options
2020-08-07 19:12:00
Yes, it works with the cable enthernet. I have an iPad but not a Mac computer
Options
2020-08-07 21:05:58
now you can reattach the router and see if it works. You may need to do a factory reset.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1405

Replies: 11