Deco M5 in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5 in AP mode
Deco M5 in AP mode
2020-08-07 14:59:36 - last edited 2020-08-07 20:31:03
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I just set up my Deco M5, connecting it to my telephone supplied fiber modem/router combo. I had to set it up in AP mode since I do not and cannot control the main modem/router. I used a new network name for the Deco. My question is (sorry I'm not a techie) do I want to connect my devices to my main network or the Deco network name? I assumed it would be the main network name since the Decos are bridging that signal but the Deco name is also broadcasting. I did find where I can hide the Deco network in the setting section of the app. So I just need to clarify which I should be connecting to for the strongest signal or is there a difference?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 in AP mode-Solution
2020-08-07 20:29:35 - last edited 2020-08-07 20:31:03

@Bready4325 

The Deco in AP Mode is just an extension of your existing network so being connected to the Deco Wi-Fi is like being connected to the main router Wi-Fi. However, what you want now is to only have the Deco Wi-Fi available, and to see about turning off the Wi-Fi for the modem/router. Having the modem/router Wi-Fi on would create some interference with the Deco, and the Deco that is wired to the router will cover that area already.

The Deco does not push the existing Wi-Fi of the modem/router, what it is doing is pulling the internet from the Ethernet cable, and then providing internet via Wi-Fi or through the Ethernet port(s). The Deco does not care about the Wi-Fi of the modem/router.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 in AP mode-Solution
2020-08-07 20:29:35 - last edited 2020-08-07 20:31:03

@Bready4325 

The Deco in AP Mode is just an extension of your existing network so being connected to the Deco Wi-Fi is like being connected to the main router Wi-Fi. However, what you want now is to only have the Deco Wi-Fi available, and to see about turning off the Wi-Fi for the modem/router. Having the modem/router Wi-Fi on would create some interference with the Deco, and the Deco that is wired to the router will cover that area already.

The Deco does not push the existing Wi-Fi of the modem/router, what it is doing is pulling the internet from the Ethernet cable, and then providing internet via Wi-Fi or through the Ethernet port(s). The Deco does not care about the Wi-Fi of the modem/router.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco M5 in AP mode
2020-08-07 20:31:17
Thank you!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 852

Replies: 2

Related Articles