Why does a MODEM reset/reboot reset my Deco Network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-07 20:57:47
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

When my modem is reset/rebooted/loses power/etc, the Deco loses the network settings.  My only solution has been to delete the network and rebuild from scratch.  If thats not enough of a pain, I have to attempt the rebuild 5 or 6 times before its successful.

I unplug all Deco units.  I plug in the base Deco unit, press the reset button for 15 to 20 seconds, until I get a solid yellow light.  It boots up to a pulsing blue light.  I go through the network setup in the App, but it goes from blue light to red light and fails to find an internet connection.  Repeat 4 or 5 times, then it finally finds an internet connection.

So, 1, why does the MODEM reboot affect the Deco network?  2, why does it take 5 or 6 setup attempts for it to find the internet connection?

Secondarily, my latest attempt has somehow left me with no network in the Deco App, but the base unit is setup correctly, has a green light, and has devices with active internet connections.  The satellite units were red light, but without having the network in the App, I can't connect them.  So I have to reset the base deco and start over again.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Why does a MODEM reset/reboot reset my Deco Network?
2020-08-07 22:04:20

@oburgsc 

The power status of your modem should not affect the Deco at all.  Unless the power strip or surge protector is tripping or losing power,  that is the only way i can see if being affected.  

Options
2020-08-07 23:50:15 - last edited 2020-08-07 23:51:10

@Carl   I would agree, it shouldn't affect the Deco, but it does. 

Here is whats happening now.  I go through the setup.  It goes from blue light to red light.  Multiple attempts to get internet connection fail.  I tell the app to skip that step for now, and either finish there, or add another Deco, which also has a red light.  I reboot the main Deco without resetting, the app automatically deletes the network.  The main Deco finishes rebooting, so I push the reset button to start over, but instead, it gets a green light with internet access, but no network in the app.  So at this point in order to add the satellite units, I have to reset it everything and start over to try to get a connected main unit AND a stable network in the app.  This is the first time its been this difficult.  Past several rebuild have finally gone well on the 4th or 5th attempt.  I'm on attempt 20 or so now.

Options
2020-08-10 19:11:13

@oburgsc 

I'm going to refer this to our engineering team to see if they can provide some input.  

Options
2020-08-12 00:34:35

@oburgsc 

My Engineers got back to me:

They would like to know what the LED of the Main Deco is doing when the "reset" happens.  If the Deco unit is being reset, the light should follow this sequence solid green---flashing yellow---solid yellow---flashing blue.  If the LED is just truning solid red it should just be a lost of internet but the network is still there. 

Options
2020-08-12 05:13:13

@oburgsc 

I'm wondering if your issue is a bad cable modem and not having a solid internet connection or if your modem takes a really long time to get an internet connection back after a reset/reboot.

Doesn't the app get the network settings from the cloud? If you are connected to the wifi network with no internet access, then the app can't read the settings to show your network info. Try using cellular data on your phone and see if anything changes.

Options
2020-08-12 13:18:15

@Carl 

Carl wrote

@oburgsc 

My Engineers got back to me:

They would like to know what the LED of the Main Deco is doing when the "reset" happens.  If the Deco unit is being reset, the light should follow this sequence solid green---flashing yellow---solid yellow---flashing blue.  If the LED is just truning solid red it should just be a lost of internet but the network is still there. 

The issue is when the modem is rebooted.  So the Deco light just turns to solid red.  Once the modem is back online, the Deco light never changes.  It remains at red.  After this last ordeal, and trying different things, I think I will try a quick press of the reset button on the Deco.  This does not appear to wipe the network info, but may cause a reconnect to the modem.   Maybe I'll try a power recycle on the Deco first, but I'm fairly certain I've tried that on numerous occasions with no success.

Options
2021-03-22 22:38:31

@oburgsc Hi there, I think I have a similar problem. Whenever my modem reboots it finds the DSL connection correctly, however the Deco M5 fails to connect to it. It only shows the red light. No amount of turning off and on again fixes it.

However, if I physically swap the ethernet cables to different ports - at the back of Deco and the modem (TPlink VR400) - it will reconnect. No idea why this is happening. That gets me going again, but it would be good if this helps the Tp-Link engineers get closer to a fix.

Options
2021-06-21 11:37:04

@oburgsc was this fixed? I'm also having the same problem. I have to pull out and put back in the cables. This is not great if a get a power cut my security cameras don't come back online. Can you help with this please?

Options
2021-06-21 12:09:54

@Burg unfortunately there was no solution. I returned it under warranty.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1793

Replies: 9

Related Articles