Range Extenders or Access Points for AX6000 dropping and poor connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-20 18:49:14 - last edited 2020-08-21 19:43:49

Hi all,

We have a 3340 sq ft, 2 story house and use the AX6000 router which works fine on most of the bottom floor (router located in bottom corner of house).  
However, the connection is very spotty, and often drops in the opposite side of the first floor, and most of the second floor.

Our connection speed plan with our provider is 18/18 mbps (in the process of bumping this up to 50 soon), currently averaging 17 mbps upload and 15 mbps download.

We have 5 laptops, 5 cell phones, 3 smart TV's, 10 smart electrical outlets and 2 ring security cameras all on the same wireless network.

I'm considering getting either 2 range extenders, or 2 access points. One for the opposite side downstairs and one for upstairs.

What would be best, AC2600 Wi-Fi Range Extender or TL-WA901ND Access Point (or something else ?) to help prevent dropped and weak signals in the areas of our home that are further from the wireless router?

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Range Extenders or Access Points for AX6000 dropping and poor connections-Solution
2020-08-21 11:51:10 - last edited 2020-08-21 19:43:49
They are two different approaches to solve your problem. See http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-access-point-and-extender/ for more info. If it were me, I would consider getting a true Mesh system such as the TP Links Deco M9. Extenders tend be easier to set up but since it is half duplex, the speed is reduced. AN AP would provide better speed but would be more complex to set up and maintain. A Mesh system is made for large homes with connection issues like yours. Do try and move the router as even a few feet can make a difference, adjust antennas if it has some adjustable ones, turn the router, try different channels and band width, use 2.4 GHz for those hard to reach devices, ... If no mesh system, the TL-WA901ND sounds interesting because you have multiple optional ways to connect it. I should note I used a RE220 extender for my dead spot in my home and it works fine.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Range Extenders or Access Points for AX6000 dropping and poor connections-Solution
2020-08-21 11:51:10 - last edited 2020-08-21 19:43:49
They are two different approaches to solve your problem. See http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-access-point-and-extender/ for more info. If it were me, I would consider getting a true Mesh system such as the TP Links Deco M9. Extenders tend be easier to set up but since it is half duplex, the speed is reduced. AN AP would provide better speed but would be more complex to set up and maintain. A Mesh system is made for large homes with connection issues like yours. Do try and move the router as even a few feet can make a difference, adjust antennas if it has some adjustable ones, turn the router, try different channels and band width, use 2.4 GHz for those hard to reach devices, ... If no mesh system, the TL-WA901ND sounds interesting because you have multiple optional ways to connect it. I should note I used a RE220 extender for my dead spot in my home and it works fine.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Range Extenders or Access Points for AX6000 dropping and poor connections
2020-08-21 19:43:37

@ArcherC8 Thanks for the reply and suggestions.  Much appreciated!

And yes, after doing more research, the MESH approach seemed like the best way to go so I ordered the TP-Link Deco X60 (3).  Very much looking forward to a better in house Wi-Fi experience!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2287

Replies: 2