Suggested Settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Suggested Settings

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Suggested Settings
Suggested Settings
2020-09-02 02:40:25 - last edited 2020-09-02 02:41:35
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5553

I have an Arris modem/router that I have to use from my ISP.  I have it in Bridge mode, so I'm running my AX3000 behind that. was just wondering what best settings would be for this and some help on the IPv6 setup (I have RCN as ISP).  Mainly interested in best settings for Xbox One and TV streaming along with other WAN devices (5 phones, 3 printers, 4 firesticks, 4 laptops, 1 PC).  Thank you.

Options
16 Reply
Re:Suggested Settings
2020-09-02 14:06:14
You have a lot of router for the number of devices. I like to have unique SSIDs for the different WIFI bands so I have more control over them. Use security on all WIFI bands and unique user id and strong passwords. Use auto for WIFI settings for channel and band unless you are in a very congested area and have connection issues. Most devices (phone, laptops,...) allow you to put in multiple SSIDs so they can switch as needed. Put the slow older devices only on the 2.4 GHz band and the higher speed and newer devices on the 5 GHz band. Slower devices do impact other devices on the band. The 2.4 band will get more distance and the 5 GHz band is faster. I avoid QoS unless there is a absolute need for it and the same for parental controls. I do use IPv6. I do not use DDNS in the router although I use DDNS services for my security cameras as my dynamic IP has been static from my ISP. Also keep in mind even small changes in router placement, direction, height, antenna placement make a difference. I had to try different settings to get IPv6 to work from my ISP (Comcast). Each ISP may be different. I used WAN connect type DHCPv6, Get IPv6 prefix delegation on, Get IPv6 DNS Server Automatically on, IPv6 Address Assign Type SLACC, and IPv6 Address Prefix as :: and got it to work. Be sure to hit the save button. Make a change, power cycle the router, test, and if good, do your backup. Hope this helps.
Options
2020-09-04 22:19:08

@ArcherC8 

Thank you, thank you.  Very nice of you to respond.  I will try those settings and see if I can wake up IPv6.  I'll get back to ya.  thank you again

Options
2020-09-05 02:56:59

@ArcherC8  by "power cycle" you mean reboot, correct?

Options
2020-09-05 04:35:03

@ArcherC8 Are these settings correct?   

Options
2020-09-05 11:37:24
reboot or power off and back on.
Options
2020-09-05 11:50:01
Your user interface is a bit different than mine. Try saving and hitting the "renew" button. You may have to try several different combos as I did as your interface is different as is your ISP. You can use https://test-ipv6.com/ site to see if you are connected using IPv6 (you will see 10/10 score). Also the IPv6 address will show your address which will be something like 2001:9999:9999:99:faaa:bbbb:ffff:4c9d.
Options
2020-09-05 12:39:17

@ArcherC8  Ok will do...I'd try calling my ISP (RCN) but they never answer tech calls anymore (not an exaggeration,  I recently tried seven times, and each time after the automated queries I was put on hold and then the busy signal).  I'm not even sure if RCN supports IPv6.  Cannot switch either.  The ISPs nowadays want to keep their monopolies.  Anyway, I will try those...thanks again.  I will get back to you.

Options
2020-09-05 13:07:41
Nope doesn't work. I've even googled if RCN can support IPv6 and haven't found anything definitive showing that they do. No addresses to use, etc.
Options
2020-09-05 14:45:56

@rkrebs11 

Mine is a little different:

I set Get IPv6 Address to AUTO, which was actually my default.

I'm on Spectrum and they do support IPv6 so maybe that is why it worked?

Options
2020-09-06 00:35:26

@IrvSp  Thanks IrvSp. Yeah, mine was on auto too by default, but where did you get that address.  I finally got thru to RCN and EVEN their tech didn't know how to set this up.  She had my fishing around in my ethernet adapter options to make sure I had all the IPv4 options enabled.  But I don't even think all those options need to be abled for this.  I told her that this is not THAT new and has been around since 2012.  But she said she's never even heard of this (IPv6).  I thought it was time to end the call.  She said she was sorry but told me she'd try to have someone a little more tech-savvy call me back tomorrow.  So who knows.  Thanks for your input.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1634

Replies: 16

Related Articles