iOS apps for Instagram, Facebook, FaceTime, etc. don't work on wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-02 04:36:00
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200326 rel.63914(5553)

Multiple iOS devices connected to the wifi network send and receive data fine within the browsers and in other apps (e.g., YouTube), but Instagram, Facebook, and FaceTime don't work.There are no parental controls blocking those apps. And those platforms (well, IG and Facebook at least) do load when accessed through browers on the same iOS devices connected to wifi). Apps also work when wifi is turned off and they connect via cellular. Firmware has been updated and modem has been reset and router unplugged and plugged back in. I also tried switching over to Google DNSs and even reconfiguring apps within devices to connect to Google DNSs (that didn't work and I switched back to ISPs DNSs).

Options
13 Reply
Re:iOS apps for Instagram, Facebook, FaceTime, etc. don't work on wifi
2020-09-02 13:29:21
I do not use those sites on my IOS devices but we have not had any issues like you describe. The things I would try: Be sure QoS is off. Clear the history in the browser. Try a different browser such as Firefox. Turn on IPv6 (you can check it with https://test-ipv6.com/). Check the firewall settings in the router as it may be blocking it. Find a public hotspot and test it there. Turn off VPN if using one. And did you open the needed ports in the router (example for facetime https://macreports.com/6-facetime-calling-issues-fixes/ )?
Options
2020-09-02 17:23:22

@walpole 

I am not sure if you have done this, but has the router been factory defaulted and all the settings left as is and tested again? Also, I was thinking what @ArcherC8 said about using those devices on a different Wi-Fi, does that work?

Options
2020-09-02 18:18:36

walpole wrote

Multiple iOS devices connected to the wifi network send and receive data fine within the browsers and in other apps (e.g., YouTube), but Instagram, Facebook, and FaceTime don't work.

@walpole 

OK, first I have iPad's and all work both using a browser and the IOS based apps. Facebook and Instagram can be used both in a browser and app and I think it is possible to do Facetime as well? And as you say, they work, so that sort of points to the app? I'd start looking on the devices at the apps. Unlikely more than one would go bad though.

A couple of things I'd suggest, more to see if it works than anything else:

• Create a GUEST NETWORK with NO SECURITY and connect to it and test.
  • Delete the apps and re-install, keep the data. Possible the app needs to be updated for the iOS on the device.
  • If the above fail, I'd delete the app and data too. Data could be corrupted.

One could also Google "facebook app doesn't work on iOS" as there are many hits on this.

Options
2020-09-02 18:21:44

@IrvSp 

I did disconnect the new TPLink router last night and reconnected my old ISP provided one and all the apps work again on the devices. This issue is specific to this network. I also did delete my instagram app on the old network and reinstalled and it did not work. 

Options
2020-09-02 21:59:58

@walpole 

Wow, really odd that no matter which router is there Instagram didn't work?

Sounds like 'HomeLink' could be involved, but I'd think it would be for all network connections, all bands and wired as well as wireless?

Options
2020-09-03 21:03:48

@walpole 

Just to clarify, even if the router is factory defaulted (reset held for 15 seconds), you still have the same issue?

Options
2020-09-03 21:06:19

@IrvSp I misspoke when I said "network." Those iOS apps on those devices don't work when connected to this router. When I reconnected my old router, the apps work again.

Options
2020-09-03 23:56:09

@walpole 

I'm starting to think the problem is the NETWORK CONNECTION on the devices? They 'remember' things, like MAC addresses and such. If you used the SAME SSID and PASWORD for the new router, that could be the problem. You need to DELETE those Network connections. Either that or use a DIFFERENT SSID name, which does the same thing.

Give that a try and see what happens.

Options
2020-12-07 19:13:20
Having the same issue, did you find a solution? I did change the 5G network name / password and still the issue is happening.
Options
2020-12-25 23:14:56

Also having this issue. Already exchanged the router once, thinking it was a hardware defect and the new one does exactly the same thing. Different SSID, factory firware, updated firmware. Doesn't matter. This junker is probably getting returned and I'm going to have to try a different brand. If I plug my old router back in, all the problems magically go away.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1973

Replies: 13