OK to Keep SSIDs the Same when Disabling Smart Connect?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-08 18:25:07 - last edited 2020-09-08 22:18:22
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.13901(5553)

One of the advantages of my Archer A20s band steering feature is convenience: I can have a single SSID and the router takes care of everything for me, distributing between all 3 bands. I'm disabling it for now because I want to try specifying some settings (2.4ghz channel, enabling MU-MIMO for 5ghz channels).

Can I still leave the SSID as exactly the same for all 3 bands (1x2.4, 2x5)? What would happen if I did? How do my devices know which network they should connect to?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OK to Keep SSIDs the Same when Disabling Smart Connect?-Solution
2020-09-08 21:51:02 - last edited 2020-09-08 22:18:22

Vexir wrote

@IrvSp Honestly the only real reason to turn off Smart Connect was to specify the 2.4 ghz channel because I noticed it was choosing one with interference - and to enable MU-MIMO. But I'm not really having issues with 2.4 ghz devices, and I'm assuming MU-MIMO is turned on by Smart Connect?

@Vexir 

It probably defaulted to the lowest I'd assume.

MI-MUIMO is OK for me. I've tested it on and off. Do have some devices that can use it, but I have not seen any degradation when a device that can't use it is on the same SSID? So I've put it on both 5Ghz bands.

It isn't the 2.4Ghz  devices you'll have problems with, it is the other devices on the same SSID. Not the 2.4Ghz band per se, but the 5Ghz bands. That is because when, let's say an N and AC speed device is on one of the 5Ghz bands. The router will be slower in operation for the N Speed device. If both the N and AC are active at the same time, performance on the AC device will fall to the speed level of the N speed device. For instance, I've got a few N Speed USB devices here, one connects at 600, the other at 867 for recieve but both send at 867. My AC is a 1300 speed both send/receive. If I put those 2 on the same SSID the AC device would suffer lower performance sometimes. That is why I have a tri-band router. IOT devices all on the 2.4Ghz SSID even if they are Dual speed such as my printer, all N Speed on 5.1 SSID, and all AC's on 5-2 SSID.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:OK to Keep SSIDs the Same when Disabling Smart Connect?
2020-09-08 19:09:57

@Vexir 

Vexir wrote

Can I still leave the SSID as exactly the same for all 3 bands (1x2.4, 2x5)? What would happen if I did? How do my devices know which network they should connect to?

You can, but I wouldn't. The only time it would work was if a specfic device was 2.4Ghz only and then it would connect to the proper band. The 2 5Ghz (5-1 and 5-2) bands with the same SSID as the 2.4 Ghz can't be determined when you look on a device at the SSID's. A non-only 2.4Ghz device will see 3 SSID's. No guarantee which is which.

I'd use the format of band_name followed by the speed of the band, like 2, 5-1, and 5-2. For instance as an example home2, home5-1, and home 5-2. Guest SSID's I'd use g before the SSID name.

The added benefit beside you know what you are connecting too, is the ability to be sure you get the devices you want on each band without guessing.

Options
2020-09-08 19:36:37

@IrvSp Honestly the only real reason to turn off Smart Connect was to specify the 2.4 ghz channel because I noticed it was choosing one with interference - and to enable MU-MIMO. But I'm not really having issues with 2.4 ghz devices, and I'm assuming MU-MIMO is turned on by Smart Connect?

Options
2020-09-08 20:45:00
I am like IrvSp in that I like to control my devices and which band they will be on so I use different named SSIDs. When the router controls the band for the device such as Smart Connect, it has to do so based on what it sees. So my computer that I want on the 5GHz band may be on the 2.4 GHz band because other devices have more traffic that it does. As far as MU-MIMO goes, it sounds good in theory but it has its own shortcomings. Might be good if all your devices support it such as an office setting with everyone using the same computer. See https://www.networkcomputing.com/wireless-infrastructure/mu-mimo-reality-check
Options
Re:OK to Keep SSIDs the Same when Disabling Smart Connect?-Solution
2020-09-08 21:51:02 - last edited 2020-09-08 22:18:22

Vexir wrote

@Vexir 

It probably defaulted to the lowest I'd assume.

MI-MUIMO is OK for me. I've tested it on and off. Do have some devices that can use it, but I have not seen any degradation when a device that can't use it is on the same SSID? So I've put it on both 5Ghz bands.

It isn't the 2.4Ghz  devices you'll have problems with, it is the other devices on the same SSID. Not the 2.4Ghz band per se, but the 5Ghz bands. That is because when, let's say an N and AC speed device is on one of the 5Ghz bands. The router will be slower in operation for the N Speed device. If both the N and AC are active at the same time, performance on the AC device will fall to the speed level of the N speed device. For instance, I've got a few N Speed USB devices here, one connects at 600, the other at 867 for recieve but both send at 867. My AC is a 1300 speed both send/receive. If I put those 2 on the same SSID the AC device would suffer lower performance sometimes. That is why I have a tri-band router. IOT devices all on the 2.4Ghz SSID even if they are Dual speed such as my printer, all N Speed on 5.1 SSID, and all AC's on 5-2 SSID.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-08 22:19:03
Did not know this. Such a hidden trap! Anywhere I can find a guide on other easy config traps to avoid?
Options
2020-09-08 23:50:22

Vexir wrote

Did not know this. Such a hidden trap! Anywhere I can find a guide on other easy config traps to avoid?

@Vexir 

Don't know what 'traps' you expect?

Basically keeping the like devices (Speeds, G, N, AC, AX) on individual bands is best. Router when they have different speed devices on a band will work generally at the slower speed, so if you mix N and AC devices, the AC devices will not operate at the max. possible speed all the time.

Some reading link for you:

https://lifehacker.com/which-wifi-band-should-i-use-for-my-devices-1832635625

https://www.hellotech.com/blog/why-is-my-wifi-so-slow

https://www.maketecheasier.com/24ghz-5ghz-band-steering/

Options
2020-09-09 01:30:50

@IrvSp I would define trap as anything important to know or configure that isn't obvious to the layman by just looking at the configuration options.

Options
2020-09-09 02:13:23

Also how do we feel about airtime fairness? So far I've kept it off because I want my 2.4ghz PS4 to operate as quickly as possible for online gaming, but if there's a way to exempt it from Airtime Fairness or prioritize it within the AF scheme, that would help AF reduce priority for the other devices I've got, like smart speakers and smart washers.

Options
2020-09-09 12:24:52
Here is a site that will give you more info on WIFI where you can learn about overlapping channels, MU-OFDMA, channel widths, 2x2-4x4, MIMO, how router speed ratings is determined, expected speeds, and so much more. https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html
Options
2020-09-09 12:47:53

Vexir wrote

Also how do we feel about airtime fairness? So far I've kept it off because I want my 2.4ghz PS4 to operate as quickly as possible for online gaming, but if there's a way to exempt it from Airtime Fairness or prioritize it within the AF scheme, that would help AF reduce priority for the other devices I've got, like smart speakers and smart washers.

@Vexir 

Before I could even answer that, first you need to read this, https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/203

Next, it would help to know 2 things:

1. Are you actually having a problem with On-Line gaming?
  2. What is your Internet Speed?

Why the 2 questions, well, the first should be obvious. Second is because if you have insufficient speed, there might not be much you could do about it?

What I'm thinking is the use of QoS, Quality of Service. The A20 allows DEVICE PRIORITY:

That will work for what you request, no matter what other settings you have.

However, NOTHING will help if your Internet is SLOW. Check this link, https://broadbandnow.com/guides/how-much-internet-speed-do-i-need

Now assume you know what the game requires (have to Google the game name and speed required) you still need 'more', espectially is something else is happening on other devices during game play. Don't forget, may programs 'call home' or automatically check for mail even. Some, like Windows will d/l updates while the PC is on without you starting it.

You can also try QoS Application Priority:

Either Select Gaming which is basically featuring Gaming for bandwidth, or use Custom and create your own profile.

One thing, in most cases, QoS is almost useless if your Internet Speed is 200Mbps or more.

I have mine set to Standard, but I wish I had an OFF, I'm sure I don't need it, and I suspect that Standard is really what Custom defaults to.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2173

Replies: 11

Related Articles