IKEv2 VPN from macOS Troubleshooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-10 16:11:42 - last edited 2020-09-10 16:31:15
Model: Archer C8  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20180126 rel.58698(5553)

I have an interesting concern regarding connecting to my Dashlane VPN on Apple OS devices. Including iOS 13 and MacOS 10.15 Catalina. Dashlane tech support has already said I'm on my own.

On my Android and Windows devices, the Dashlane VPN goes right through and connects just fine. I can also ping the VPN server by FQDN (fully qualified domain name “www.example.com”) from my Apple devices.

I have looked at the “/etc/racoon/racoon.cfg” file. From what I can tell, it seems to be configured correctly, it has been left at default.

In the console utility log on macOS the last IPSec log record reports that “the server did not respond”.

I can see that it is using IKEv2 protocol. I have tested a manually configured IKEv2 VPN to the same server and it still reports "the server did not respond".

I have tested various DNS servers: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, 75.75.75.75, 75.75.76.76. Doesn't make the difference.

I am on IPv4 and I have my IP address retrieved through DHCP from my ISP.

I found that the Dashlane VPN on macOS will connect successfully if I renew the DHCP configuration and click connect on the VPN roughly simultaneously.

I am sure this is a tricky one as I wouldn’t be bringing it to a forum if it weren’t.

There must be something interfering with respect to the protocol from macOS and iOS either on my ISP or the router.

I look forward to some ideas on this one.

Options
3 Reply
Re:IKEv2 VPN from macOS Troubleshooting
2020-09-10 18:00:40
Please keep us posted if you find out anything. I have an Archer C8 V1 and have Apple computers. We also use Dashlane for our passwords. I use a VPN on my iPads that I use when traveling however I am using Proton VPN. That works fine. I have not installed the VPN on the PCs but may do so in the future. You could try Proton's VPN free version to see if it works for you. The free version is not real fast which is the reason I have not put it on the PCs. Just thinking you may want to check any firewalls you have on the PCs such as Norton, ...
Options
2020-09-11 17:26:27 - last edited 2020-09-11 17:29:43

@ArcherC8 

I finally got it.

Having isolate it to something with the router. I determined that the Apple devices must be using a different VPN protocol from my Windows and Android devices.

I still want to find out how they were connecting successfully if it is a different protocol or what.

First of all I found this article about VPN passthrough.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/558/ 

However on the Archer C8 the setting is in at Advanced > NAT Forwarding > ALG (Application Layer Gateway) > Enable IPSec Passthrough. Because IKEv2 is IPSec.

Given that Apple devies are based on UNIX, although so is Android, Apple may be adhering closer to the protocols set by the Internet Engineering Task Force www.ietf.org.

Full IKEv2 RFC 

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5996

That's my inclination.

Options
2020-09-11 20:13:05

@calebtree8449 

Great.

Thanks for the update and info.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0