Windows can't get the network settings from the router...driving me nuts!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-11 19:57:15
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Firmware Version:0.2.0 0.9.1 v0069.0 Build 170303 Rel.59897n

I've an Archer VR900 v3 (not listed in the options) 

I've two Windows 10 laptops that simply refuse to connect to my VR900. I've followed all the guidance resetting laptop and network configurations, yet when attempting to connect to Wifi after being prompted for the router ID continually get the 'Windows can't get the network settings from the router' message.

I'm hoping that someone can please give me some hints before I end up ditching my whole TP-Link setup.

Thanks in advance

Paul 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Windows can't get the network settings from the router...driving me nuts!
2020-09-11 20:39:08
Will the windows PC work if connected via Ethernet? Is it both bands that have the issue or is it just one band? Did you use the same SSIDs and passwords that you had on the previous router. If so you may need to reset the network driver/connection on the PCs or try using different SSIDs. Best to use most of the default settings when setting up a new router, test, backup, and add options as you go. Also update the firmware https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/archer-vr900/#Firmware and you may need to reset to factory after an upgrade. I noticed this router is an EU model so be sure you are using it there. This is a US based forum and we are happy to help but some issues may be more region specific. The international forum is https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/32?page=1 (en vs us in link)
Options
2020-09-12 13:12:30

@ArcherC8 

Thanks for taking the time to respond...I hadn't realised this was a US forum.

PC will connect with Ethernet and only sees 2.4Ghz channel.

SSID is the default and the firmware has been updated on the router whilst also updating the wireless adaptor drivers. Network settings have been reset and gone through the typical flush DNS, IP renew etc, but as it's not successfully connected these troubleshooting steps seem futile. It's as if the authentication with the router simply will not handshake.

Any other ideas welcome and I'll try the UK forum also.

Thanks again 

Options
2020-09-12 15:19:18
Windows 10, one of the reasons I went to Apple. I would change the SSID and password from the default and use different SSIDs for each band, ensure Enable SSID broadcast is on, The mode matches your PC modes. I use a mode of 11a/n/ac mixed on the 5 GHz. Try different channels and widths. Use security, disable MAC filtering, disable QoS, and if your PC can use WPS you can enable it and see if that works otherwise I keep it off for security reasons.
Options
2020-09-15 17:56:32

@ArcherC8 

Many thanks for the insights...finally cracked it and appeared to be a combination of factory reset of the router (something I should have done after the firmware update) and a Windows reinstallation of core files. Painful but got there.

Really appreciate the guidance offered...many thanks

Paul

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 690

Replies: 4

Related Articles