Archer AX10 - blocking internet access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-11 22:33:03
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I just got my Archer AX10. I updated the firmware to the latest one and started configuring it...

My first impression is that the available settings are very simplisitic. The options in the advanced tab are not really so advanced. So far (it's been 15 minutes) I've managed to find two use cases that I do not know how to configure:

1) I'd like to block internet access for some of my devices completely. This applies to all my IP cameras - I simply do not want them talking back to China. How do i do that?

I tried with the Parental Controls but I can only:

- block their access to certain webpages (maybe I should type "china" there)

- limit their daily internet usage (but the minimum is 30 minutes, not 0 minutes)

- define bed time for them (well, that does not really apply to cameras, does it?)

2) Another case - I want to control the time my kids spend on the internet. In particular:

- I want them to have a good sleep

- I want them to find the time to do their homework

This means I'd like them to have internet access from 7am to 5pm and from 8pm to 11pm.

But this is impossible to set, because the firmware assumes children need only one internet break per day (it's almost as if the firmware is telling me how to raise my children).

Is it just me expecting too much or is the firmware really that simplistic?

Is it possible to configure the router to do the two things listed above at all?

I'll appreciate ny help!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer AX10 - blocking internet access
2020-09-12 16:02:13
The IP camera options may be difficult as many are designed to allow you to see your cameras using remote connections. If you can see them from outside your network, so can others. You could try disconnecting the internet from your router and see if you can see your cameras when signed on to your WIFI. In your camera settings you need an IP address and not a DDNS something like 192.168.0.125 with your camera or NVR/DVR at that IP address. If that works, use an old router not connected to the internet. Another possible option is to use different open source firmware in the cameras but it is a hack and how do you know for sure it does not call home either. I have both security DVR and IP cameras and want the remote viewing so I live with it maybe calling home. I have tape on my PC and tablets cameras. I do not point my security cameras at anything that I am worried about anybody seeing. Do change the user id and passwords from time to time.
Options
2020-09-12 21:05:25

@ArcherC8 

Hello and thank for your reply.

The problem is not however with finding out how to set up the cameras. I have the entire system working now with an old router running DD-WRT. It's easy to block any device from accessing the internet on DD-WRT either by MAC or IP.

I decided to upgrade my router to a new one, and somehow assumed the stock firmware would allow me to run some devices as LAN-only. It seems however I was wrong. The stock firmware is incredibly limited in setting the access restrictions. I even saw some screenshots from older TP-Link routers and it seems they used to have more options in the past. Now they just simplify everything, and the functionalities disappear.

I've returned the AX10 and ordered C7. It is a smaller upgrade for me, but at least I'll be able to run DD-WRT on it.

Options
2020-09-14 12:30:30
I hear you. I used DD-WRT many years ago on an old Linksys and was impressed with all the options, most of which I did not know what to do with. The software in the current routers is to try and help the masses have all these cool functions with the least knowledge and interaction. Works for most. I have been reluctant to use DD-WRT and most other free software because it is basically a hack. A lot of things changed since I last used it and there are a lot of people out to get your info as your info can be collected, used and sold. Even trusted companies have been caught collecting info. So who do you trust? Reading Macworld last night I seen an old quote that went something like "When you get a free product, you become the product".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 664

Replies: 3