TP-Link Archer C9 V1.0 causing slow internet speeds until rebooted

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-23 15:31:41 - last edited 2020-09-23 18:54:49
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.17.0 Build 20150514 Rel.70681n

I've noticed my internet speeds are amazingly slow compared to the speed I am paying for. The connection is between 1.5 - 10 Mbps download when I'm paying for 100 Mbps download. When I reboot the router and modem, this seems to fix the issue - but only for a certain amount of time - less than 8 hours lately. I had thought that my ISP was throttling my connection but was assured that it wasn't the issue by the phone rep. 

Thinking this was an ISP issue, I called them and troubleshooted the steps that line up with TP-Link's recommendation - speed testing with the router modem plugged directly into my desktop. That fixed the issue, showing that it likely wasn't a modem/ISP issue. The ISP also mentioned that the modem looked fine and that this was likely the wireless router.

Connection speed is poor across multiple devices (wired and wireless) when the speed starts to fail.

Last night, prior to it's "daily" reboot:

Today, after the reboot:

I'm hopeful that this will stay the same, but experience has taught me that by this evening my speeds will degrade again.

My next troubleshooting steps will be to upgrade the firmware, since I'm still on the original 2015 firmware. Mainly making this thread to track progress in the hopes it can help others. 

Other possible steps from my googling:

Go to Nat Boost under Advanced and disable it (mine is currently enabled).  Then test speeds.  

Go to Advanced - System Tools - System Parameters and see the Duplex to 1000Mbps Full Duplex and save the setting.

Lastly, I've also noticed that I have no lights on my router during normal operation - similar to this abandoned issue and a few other threads on here.

Options
10 Reply
Re:TP-Link Archer C9 V1.0 causing slow internet speeds until rebooted
2020-09-23 18:07:17
Did you mean to say in testing you connected the PC direct to the modem bypassing the router to test the speed from the ISP? If you have not done so, do it to get a base line. Be sure to power cycle when changing the equipment. Often over looked is the Ethernet cables. Use Cat 6 or at least Cat 5e. Do update the firmware but be advised you may need to do a factory reset and reenter your settings. Try changing Nat Boost. There may be a setting for the lights on some models but mine are out and as long as it works, I am fine with it. Review you modem logs for errors. Sometimes other devices can cause issues or take a lot of bandwidth. I have seen cloud services such as backups, Amazon photos, and such have an impact.
Options
2020-09-30 15:37:58

I did mean to say that I tested with the modem plugged directly to my PC.

It's been a few days without me updating, since I haven't had any issues after updating the firmware! My speeds have been consistent. I did change a single cable out, but all of the cables I have are CAT5 rated. 

Options
2020-10-02 16:17:13

My download speeds have once again degraded - just when through the router. I've tried rebooting and this time it didn't fix it. I've also tried disabling NAT Boost with no luck. 

Is this a hardware issue at this point?

Options
2020-10-03 03:49:31

Alright, I bought a new router from the local store because I was hoping to resolve this, but I'm have the same issue even with a brand new Archer C7 (AC1750)...

This makes me think that it isn't an issue with my wifi router but must be an ISP/Modem issue, right?!? I'm very confused.

Options
2020-10-03 04:44:04 - last edited 2020-10-03 04:44:30

I called my ISP and another support person took a look at it and determined the likely cause - the signal strength was fluctuating a lot and often registering at 0dB. A technician is coming on Monday to investigate further. So, the router was probably a red herring all along.

Options
2020-10-03 11:53:37
That is why we recommend bypassing the router to test the modem and ISP as sometimes that is where the problem occurs. Ethernet cables and RG6 cables and their connectors are prone to issues also. I hope they get it straighten out for you.
Options
2021-05-20 18:25:03

@Ohm  I'm coming to the conclusion that its definately TPLINK's issue! This is coming coming from mutiple TPLINK models.. All you have to do it google and see how easily this subject comes up

Options
2021-05-21 12:49:55

@cdh1492 

Since he/she did not follow up with what the resolution was, we do not know if it was the router or not. Unfortunately, many do not follow up. It may have been the router.

If you Google the ISP, I am sure you will have just as many hits. I have had the ISP cable issues where it was replaced three times one of which was caused by me when I nicked a cable while digging and caused all kinds of weird issues. When the soil was dry all was good. I also have had an Ethernet cable go bad, needed to upgrade my Cat 5 Ethernet cable because my service went above 100, PC settings issues, router setting issues, router location issues, a neighbor causing 'noise' on the ISP line that required a filter to be added, but never had a router or modem go bad. I still have an old unused 'G' router that works fine that must be over 20 years old. 

One of the things that stabilized/improved my network the most was when I upgraded my modem to one that had more up and down channels. Now, I have 32 Down bonded channels and 5 up as before the old modem had only 4 down channels. The old modem was at 'end of life' and I replaced it with one of the highest tier models.  

If you Google or look at the forums for any router company, you will find the same kind of issues.

TP Link and all the other router companies do have their issues. Some of the things I do not like:

• The trend for router companies to use online services to setup the router.
  • Offer too many products
    • which makes it harder to for them support.
    • Harder to determine which router best fits your needs
    • lack of a compressive spread sheet of all the models features and functions
  • Selling of futureware (functionality that will be added later or not)
  • Removing functionality especially if not notified before hand.  
  • inexperienced support.
  • The lack of debuging info and tools. (especially error code meanings)

TP Link for the most part has completive pricing for the product you receive, has better web site than many of the other manufactures, has this forum with TP Link monitors, good user guides, ...

Options
2021-05-22 13:57:33

Sorry for not following up earlier! In this case, the technician said that the Coax port that feeds into the modem had a lot of blocked channels and was damaged, and he replaced it. Since then my internet has certainly been fixed, so that was the root cause for me. It was interesting how it manifested itself into a sporadic issue.

Options
2021-05-23 11:35:38

@Ohm 

Thanks for the follow up as that may help someone else.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2942

Replies: 10