NYC/Spectrum: Changed router to TP-Link, now getting much slower WiFi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-27 18:11:42
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently upgraded from my Spectrum router SAC2V1K to a brand new TP-Link AC1750 from Amazon and I’m getting speeds (tested with multiple speed test apps) that are much lower than what I had before switching. On the iPhones/tablets, speeds are still fast. On laptops, wireless speeds are now around 20mbps compared to 300 mbps with the prior router. 

I have Smart Connect turned on and I noticed that my laptop connects to the 2.4ghz instead of the 5ghz network, so could that be the issue? Should I disable Smart Connect?

I was under the impression that switching to a non-Spectrum router would give me equal, if not faster speed - as close to 400 mbps as possible (which is my plan). 

The modem model that I have is the Arris TM1602A MTA.

Options
2 Reply
Re:NYC/Spectrum: Changed router to TP-Link, now getting much slower WiFi speeds
2020-09-29 00:58:53

@NYC_rapp113 

Hi There

Yes as congested as New York is that is like the cause.  2.4GHz can at most achieve 100 Mbps.  The more interference and congestion from other 2.4GHz devices or networks can diminish that as well as with the many brick buildings and other devices such as Microwaves that operate on this spectrum speeds can easily diminish.  Becasue when Smart Connect is enabled the router is doing your networking for you it would be a good idea to disable it and manually assign your laptop to the 5GHz connection.  Let us know what the speeds are from there.

Options
Re:NYC/Spectrum: Changed router to TP-Link, now getting much slower WiFi speeds
2020-09-29 13:21:32

@NYC_rapp113 

Two things to consider here.

1) Are you using the same SSID and P/W as before for wireless?

2) Have you powered off the Arris TM1602AP2 before connecting the new router? This should be done always.

Also, how have you determined the wireless is connecting to 2.4Ghz as both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands are using the same SSID under Smart Connect.

As for wireless speeds, besides congestion/interference, the 802.11 device rating comes into play, especially when one wants to get higher speeds. Devices have a few numbers, Connect Speed, Theoretical Speed, and Actual speed. Even an N Speed device might not reach 300Mbps, but more like 150Mbps. A good web page that explains all this, though somewhat technical is https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html.

If you want to get 300Mbps (or 400Mbps) you'll need AC speed devices, not N speed.

Your router has a Speed Test, what does it show?

There could be other settings on the router that needs to be altered or turned on/off as well that could effect the speed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1252

Replies: 2