router connection to desktop PC not recognized out of the blue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-28 19:25:47 - last edited 2020-09-28 21:02:04
Model: Archer C8  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Have cable and router is between cable box and Win 10 desktop computer. Used iPad for a couple of hours earlier today, came back an hour later and couldn't get iPad connection to router. Here's what I checked:

- Booted desktop and got no internet connection, with router showing no lights except two on the right when re-powered on.

- Swapped cables for direct connection from cable box to computer and have internet.

- Switched back to go through router and lost internet connection to desktop, and iPad shows router checked as if connected, but fails loading websites. 

- One time (and just once) when router was reconnected between cable box/PC and reset pushed for awhile, the right light (arrows going opposite ways) flashed continuously. Otherwise, two right lights come on, then go off after a short time.

What might be going on -- and what to do? Do these things just die like this? Thanks,

Options
4 Reply
Re:router connection to desktop PC not recognized out of the blue
2020-09-28 21:35:41

@highstream 

You said the when the router was powered up only the two right (USB and WPS) are lit.  is that correct?  If so were there any power outages, storms or power surges?

Options
2020-09-28 21:46:33 - last edited 2020-09-28 22:04:37

@Carl  No -- and some of my appliances would show it if there had been (clocks, turned off). Definitely not between 9:50 and 11:15 am this morning.

Options
2020-09-29 00:42:23

@highstream 

Okay is the router connected to a surge protector or directly into the wall?  If in a SP can you please switch the outlet or move the router to the wall and see if it fully powers up?

Options
2020-09-29 01:03:00 - last edited 2020-09-29 01:07:44

No change directly into the wall (two lights on the right momentarily. The unit does feel slightly warm though. I had previously tried it in two locations, one via a surge protector and another via a power conditioner, both having other items attached that are working fine. I also checked the power brick with a multimeter and got a steady 12v.

If it's dead, I'll need to order another right away. But I'd hate to discover the same thing with a new one.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 466

Replies: 4

Related Articles