Router not working despite normal lights

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-01 23:13:27
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I'm having issues with my router and I don't know what to do with it. All of the lights that should be on to indicate that it's working are on, but I can't access the internet on any device. I've already connected directly to the modem so I've ruled that out as the issue. When I connect via cable directly to the router, I get an IP address something like 192.168.011, not all 0s, but I can't access the innternet directly connected to the router either, which doesn't make sense. Please help, I'm technologically stupid and I really need my internet for work :(

Options
2 Reply
Re:Router not working despite normal lights
2020-10-02 12:44:15
Some things to do. Be sure you are using good Ethernet cables as that causes a lot of issues and be sure they as plugged in to the correct ports per the instructions. Be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router. Power off the modem, router, and an Ethernet connected PC, wait a few minutes, power on the modem and wait for it to stabilize, the power on the router and wait for it to stabilize, and then power on the PC. Check your connection. If that did not work, try a different Ethernet cable and if that did not work, tell us the color of each of the lights on the router.
Options
Re:Router not working despite normal lights
2020-10-02 14:34:25

@Smasdoc 

IP Addresses are 4 octets, 192.168.0.xxx usually if the router defaults to 192.168.0.1, so I assume your PC IP Address is 192.168.0.011.

Smasdoc wrote

Hi, I'm having issues with my router and I don't know what to do with it. All of the lights that should be on to indicate that it's working are on, but I can't access the internet on any device

Some other info here would help. First time installing the router or did it work before and now stop? What PC is attached to the router and what other devices are also?

Did you have another router before?

Did you power off the modem and router before connecting the router? Then power on the modem and when completely up, power on the router?

Smasdoc wrote

I've already connected directly to the modem so I've ruled that out as the issue.

This might indicate you never powered down the modem and had the PC connected to it before. Some modems 'remember' the MAC address of who was connected toi it and will not 'talk' to any other device. Hence the need to power it off before connecting a new device and powering it on after the connection.

On the STATUS page of the router, do you see a DNS? There is a SPEED TEST on the router, run it, what does it show?

What OS are you using?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 552

Replies: 2