Archer A7 disconnecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer A7 disconnecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer A7 disconnecting
Archer A7 disconnecting
2020-10-09 17:12:44

Hello,

I picked up this router last month. It worked great for about 4 days, now every day I lose my connection to the internet on my laptop (using wi-fi) at least once. The only way to get it back working is to turn it off and back on and it takes about 10 minutes to start working again. I noticed this was a problem people spoke of in Amazon reviews. My firmware is up to date. Anything else to try or look into before I return it? I appreciate any help/suggestions.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer A7 disconnecting
2020-10-09 21:50:43

@thebalconyfool 

The drops could be the result of the modem, Ethernet cable, WAN port.

Should you end up returning the router, and still get drops then the fault is probably in the modem.

For now, if you are able to see logs in your modem see if those might indicate a service issue. Try swapping the Ethernet cable, and bypassing the router to see if the issue still happens on a computer while being directly connected to the modem for as long as the router would be.

Options
2020-10-09 22:44:06

@Tony Thank you very much for your reply. How would I look at the modem log? I did have some drops with my previous router, but certainly not daily as I am now. I will try your other suggestions. Thanks again.

Options
2020-10-10 18:29:18

ok I tried a different cable and it's not that. It's also not the modem as my laptop internet works when directly connected. The router is now disconnecting about every 20 minutes and then reconnects by itself again after about 5 minutes. The globe on the front of the router is always lit orange (I assume it should be green?) whether I'm connected to the net or not. Any suggestions?

Options
2020-10-10 21:11:01

@Tony More info... Despite being able to connect with my modem directly, I went and picked up another modem at spectrum since the one I was using was over 5 years old. I wanted to see if it would make a difference. I now seem to be staying connected to the net, (it's been a couple of hours without losing connection, certainly much better than the 20 minutes before) however the globe icon light remains orange on the front of the router...

Options
2020-10-12 17:55:28

@thebalconyfool 

The new modem probably is not recognizing the router. 

Leave the router powered on, then power down only the modem, then power the modem back up. After a couple of minutes, the router should then get the internet connection.

Here is an article that helps you with your current situation: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1556/

Options
2020-10-12 19:02:25

@Tony Thank you for your reply. I should be clear and say that my internet is working fine now, no disconnects at all, but the color of the globe light remains amber... isn 't it supposed to be lit green if the net is working?

Options
2020-10-13 18:05:56 - last edited 2020-10-13 18:07:48

@thebalconyfool 

If you verified as having internet through the router, then the router may not like the DNS servers it got from the ISP. In the previous link in my post (#6, Case 2, Step 1), there is a section on how to change the DNS servers. Changing that might get the globe to change color.

Options
2021-03-25 18:14:38 - last edited 2021-03-25 18:23:13

I am having very bad experiences about tp-link products....hardware is so robust ....but i am afraid to say that tp-link's customer service i.e. tech support or software development team is the worst that i have ever seen in any IT hardware product.

Initially I purchased in 2014 ...TL-WN722N wifi adapter which had stability issues with Firewalls.....after contacting tech support for so many times ....i got no solution....after spending lot of time on internet......finally I found that the default chipset drivers aka Atheros 9271R drivers were more stable than the provided drivers....and the device iworked fine with it ....including firewalls and is still working.

Thinking thjat this may be restricted to single device ....i purchased Archer A7 router....and having a hell of time with internet connection.....even changed my ISP but the problem persists......even worse ....contacted tech support....with details like screenshots etc.... but got an problem escaping/silly replies...."change dhcp DNS to ISP DNS.... do this do that....all stupid solns...nothing  now they have stopped replying???

DETAILS:

First email was sent on 2021-02-27   :
--------------------------------------------
Product Category:     Home->Routers->Wi-Fi Routers
Model Number:     Archer A7
Problem Category:     Connecting to Internet
Hardware Version:     V5
Firmware Version:     
Operating System:     Windows 7 (64bit)
Internet Service Provider(ISP):     Ultranet Pvt. Ltd.
Subject:     Frequent Reconnection
Detailed Description of the Problem:

Hello,

The router works well in ubuntu 16.04 but in WIndows 7 it gives sometimes "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET" OR browser displays "error connection timeout" 
OR "downloading proxy"...troubleshooting the network states...."plz check the screenshot below"

https://imgur.com/Pr3HOfe

It reconnects after sometime 15 to 20 seconds....and sometimes troubleshooting after disconnection states "could not identify the problem": plz check screenshot below:

https://imgur.com/kICZRBJ

and internet connection resumes.

I have also contacted the ISP and they have verified twice that there is no problem on their side also the fact that connection works good in ubuntu 16.04

FYI: Using Kaspersky Internet Security with various settings like firewall and DOH dns enabled.

There is one more problem ...... I am using custom IP ......router IP 
(192.168.6.65) and subnet mask 255.255.255.240

I am not able to login to the router securely via https or telnet can u plz suggest secure login option as browser display invalid certificate for both 192.168.6.65 and tplinkwifi.net or even tplink id.
----------------------
got reply on 2021-03-02 by umesh.chavan@tp-link.com  
----------------------------------
Dear sir,
Greetings from TP-Link !
We request you to go to Advanced->System tools-> Firmware upgrade and in online upgrade check if any update available and update it.

We request you to do following DNS settings in device
1. Go to Advanced->status option and note down DNS addresses in Internet.
2.Go to Advanced-> Network-> Dhcp server  option in left hand side, and type DNS 
addresses in primary and secondary DNS.
3.Save and reboot.

As per attached image issue may be computer is loosing ip connectivity with router. we request you to refer below link for faq about how to configure ip address in computer and set it,

https://www.tp-link.com/in/support/faq/14/

Also we request you to go to Advanced-> System tools-> Administration option and 
Enable Local managemant via https option.

Thank you, stay safe and take care of each other !
--------------------------

Can u believe in the reply?? after watching screenshot the agent is saying  "may be computer is loosing ip connectivity with router"........surely he is not even reading or seing the screenshot properly????

I replied on the same day
----------------------------
Dear Sir,

I have upgraded to the latest firmware which states improved internet connection   hence I will wait & check.... also both internet and dhcp dns servers are same now .....as far as enabling https ..it is already enabled....plz check the attached screenshot "Enabled.png" and FYI when
I try to put https in the browser i get certificate error both for
firefox and chrome from my tablet and pc (both were auth. to login previously) plz check the 2nd screenshot "Getting this.png"

Thanks & Regards.
----------------------

Since then got no reply......in the meantime changed my ISP to 
http://www.tikona.in/ although after firmware update there is some stability in connection but problem persists in both Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 7 ....

After trying everything ...router simply refuses to connect with HTTPS protocol thereby exposing login credentials to wifi tools like wireshark.

Also found that router shows sudden spike in CPU usage ....goes to 100%.......hence I stopped all extra and special features/protocol....even tried default settigs... to decrease the CPU spike ....but to my surprise there is still a spike.....which may cause WAN connection drop....I am stuck

In this case also I guess open source third party Router OS like OPENWRT or DD-WRT will work fine & great.....but I don't want to loose warranty.

Whatever ....the customer is stuck in limbo....in this period of life where internet connection means everything.

Options
Indian consumers Register your complain on pehredar@network18online.com OR https://consumerhelpline.gov.in/
2021-04-13 20:13:53

@thebalconyfool 

Dear A7 users this company is dead as far as their tech support is concerned ...they are not responding on any  formats like FORUMS, TOLL-FREE OR EMAIL.

It's time to teach them lesson on MEDIA, National Consumer Forums and I will be launching various email, twitter.facebook posts via MEDIA COMPANY to their seniors/officials regarding this matter ...I LEAVE NO TABLE UNTURNED THIS TIME ...I have also talked to my Lawyer....& will soon publish deliver notice with CASE NUMBER ......any similar UASERS HARRASED BY THIS company can DIRECTLY CO-ORDINATE with me ....I have tried ALL the NICE WAYS ....by sending EMAILS calling them etc. ....it''s now time to act to bring the TRUTH IN FRONT OF WORLD by all possible means.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2282

Replies: 9

Related Articles