Tp-Link Touch P5 Router ONLY works when connected to another router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-12 14:00:58

I'm experiencing a weird problem with my Tp-Link Touch P5 router that even Tp-link support could not resolve, so I hope someone here can enlighten me. When the router is connected to the modem (via Ethernet), I get a WAN Port Unplugged error and cannot connect to the internet. The problem is neither the cables nor the modem because I can access the Tp-Link's configuration on my computer, and I can also access the internet if I connect my computer directly to the modem. However, if I connect another router to the modem (in my case an old and slow Netgear) and connect that to the Tp-Link via Ethernet, same port, same cable, and still configured as a router, then the Tp-Link works perfectly. Moreover, every time the Tp-Link boots, the time and date resets to 1970, but eventually updates once connected to the internet via the Netgear. I had a similar problem with another Tp-Link Touch P5, but its WAN port did not work regardless of what it was connected to because of a power outage. I do not think the WAN port of the new router is damaged because then it should not work when connected to another router. 

I don't want to keep using the old and slow Netgear as a workaround to get the Tp-Link to work, but that's the only solution I have right now. If anyone has experienced a similar problem and resolved it, of if there's a networking guru here who knows what's going on, please help!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Tp-Link Touch P5 Router ONLY works when connected to another router
2020-10-12 22:50:24

@tpjoj 

If your ISP is cable this article can help.  If its not then you would need to do a loop back test. This is connecting a ethernet cabled to the Touch P5's WAN port and then one of its LAN ports you then want to check if the router is detecting connection on the WAN and on LAN if so then the router and the ports work and its likely a configuration issue.  If not then its either the cable or one of the ports is bad.  If the cable is good then its a port issue. 

Options
2020-10-13 17:25:11

@Carl You are a life saver! THANK YOU! The router works fine now after resetting the modem (restarting without the coax cable.) I'm surpised Tp-Link tech support could not figure this out. They had me restart the router several times, factory reset it, downgrade the firmware, unplug from a surge protector, switch cables etc, eventually saying the router was defective (but declined to honor warranty because I purchased from a 3rd party Amazon seller.) I almost threw away a perfectly working router. Thank you again @Carl. 

Options
2020-10-13 21:56:26

@tpjoj 

My pleasure.  I know our phone agents are fairly new.  We kinda of had to rebuild after the shutdowns were lifted. I'll make sure the team has this infromation though.  Yes with marketplace sellers like those 3rd parties on Amazon and on eBay we have no QA of the products or way to determine the add is being truthful about the description of the product.  We also can't determine if the frimware is correct or anything like that.  In most cases they are good to go but because we do not have QA for these products we can't accept warranty request on them.  

We will still provide support though so you can also reach out if you need help.

Options
2021-05-18 11:28:25

@tpjoj

hi

do a mac id reset with your service provider and connect your 1st router  and then when you are done then connect p5 to the other router and it will be done.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1266

Replies: 4