Adding second router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Adding second router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Adding second router
Adding second router
2020-10-12 22:04:48
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.5

I currently have an Archer C5400 hooked up & upgraded my internet speed thru my cable provider. They sent me a new equipment & i was looking to hooking up the second router one on each floor of my house to eliminate dead zones. Can anyone give me any quick pointers?? thanks..

Options
3 Reply
Re:Adding second router
2020-10-12 22:43:46

@Tkscorp 

Additional routers would need to be connected directly to the "base" unit that is connectedto your modem.  From there the 2nd+ router would need to be put in AP mode.  Though even if you give them the same SSID they will not provide a seamless signal.  It will still be 2+ seperate APs.  You may want to adjust the transmit power i myself have a Archer C5400 and i can get a signal about 70-80 feet away from my home. Though the usable signal is about 60-65 feet.     Another option is to disable the Archer C5400 wireless and then connect a set of Deco X60 3-pack in AP mode and use that as your WiFi 6 enabled wireless service. Being mesh each node can either be wired or wireless and the connection would be seamless. 

Options
2020-10-18 22:42:54

@Carl I'm not sure how to do any of that.. I have an AC1750 also that i was able to mesh with my cable router am i able to do the same with the C5400??

Options
2020-10-20 23:33:32

@Tkscorp 

Mesh with your Cable router?  How?  What steps did you take?

To put a router in AP mode, log into its web UI at tplinkwifi.net > click on operation mode > Choose AP/Access Point mode and save.   

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1003

Replies: 3

Related Articles