When I connect a vpn on my router the wired connection goes off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-16 16:11:47 - last edited 2020-10-19 16:31:17
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

So I got my router 2 weeks ago and I love it and there was just only one problem when I connected a vpn it disconnected me and I checked if the wireless was on and it was can anyone help me?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:When I connect a vpn on my router the wired connection goes off-Solution
2020-10-19 15:22:33 - last edited 2020-10-19 16:31:17

@Hi. 

Our routers have VPN pass-through, so if you had an existing VPN on your computer and logged into a VPN service that data should just pass right though since the firewall won't block it.

I am not sure how the VPN was set up, but have you tried utilizing the wireless connection on the same computer? 

Also, are you able to use your smartphone to test the connection?

If trying to use the VPN drops your connection it sounds like something may be incorrectly configured?

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:When I connect a vpn on my router the wired connection goes off
2020-10-16 18:46:40

@Hi. 

The Router is capable of being a VPN Server via OpenVPN or PPTP.  Other than that it can passthrough VPN traffic on IPSec, PPTP or L2TP.  If your VPN is not using one of these protocols that could point to the concern.  can you provide any more information?  If you are not comfrotable or feel it requires a less public posting please email support at support.usa@tp-link.com and we will help you via email.

Options
2020-10-16 22:29:38 - last edited 2020-10-19 16:31:12

@Carl I was using a vpn that someone made and the internet went out when using it and I have tried the tp link and it does not work for me

Options
Re:When I connect a vpn on my router the wired connection goes off-Solution
2020-10-19 15:22:33 - last edited 2020-10-19 16:31:17

@Hi. 

Our routers have VPN pass-through, so if you had an existing VPN on your computer and logged into a VPN service that data should just pass right though since the firewall won't block it.

I am not sure how the VPN was set up, but have you tried utilizing the wireless connection on the same computer? 

Also, are you able to use your smartphone to test the connection?

If trying to use the VPN drops your connection it sounds like something may be incorrectly configured?

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-19 16:30:59
Thank you it helped
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 708

Replies: 4