can't connect Archer C9 to hard drive via USB

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-20 13:38:26
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 20180125

Hello - I am trying to connect a WD Elements external hard drive 12TB NFTS partition to my Archer C9 router. If I connect via USB3.0, the drive cannot be found. If I connect via USB2.0, the router setup page shows a negative storage volume and I cannot access this. I am able to connect this drive directly to my laptop and other drives to the router I think

The support chat just keeps telling me to reset my router... any other help would be great!

Options
4 Reply
Re:can't connect Archer C9 to hard drive via USB
2020-10-20 20:50:56

@dp29 

How are you trying to connect tothe USB drive?

To use the USB hard drive attached to router

• Windows 10
    • Press the Windows Key and R
    • Enter \\192.168.0.1
  • Apple OS
    • Open a Browser (Chrome, Safari, …)
    • Enter SMB://192.168.0.1
    • Select to open in finder
Options
2020-10-20 21:18:00

@ArcherC8 

Hello -

When i connect to the USB3.0 port, the drive is not found.

When I connect to the USB2.0 port, I get the below issue (screenshot) - can connect to drive with ftp://192.168.0.101:21 as listed on the setup page, but it is not writable and the capacity reads as zero

Options
2020-10-21 11:30:36
Do not know for sure but it may be because of the size of the partition or the format of the drive. You do have an older model (V1) router which may may not support what the current model does. Have you tried other drives such as a USB thumb drive to see if you can access them? Was the thumb drives format NFTS? Also may want to try partitioning the WD drive as I think 12 TB is kinda large. Since you are using FTP, if your router has file sharing settings be sure that it is set up to use FTP (my Archer C8 has FTP settings in File Sharing).
Options
2020-10-21 11:59:34

@dp29 

Does the drive work when plugged into a PC?

It could be the 'format' as well. Newer WD's use a format that works with both Windows and Mac's but some routers need NTFS. Some routers also need a single Partition to work.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 781

Replies: 4

Related Articles