OK Speed with Deco M4R, Terrible Speed with Deco M3Ws

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-28 20:22:24 - last edited 2020-10-28 20:29:25

I have a "Main" Deco M4R connected (via Ethernet) to Verizon FIOS. 

Wired connection to the FIOS router routinely gives me 400-500 Mbps speeds.

Deco M4R never gets near that speed via Deco M4R's wifi connection on any device (whether Windows, Apple Mac or iOS).  Standing next to the Deco M4R, I sometimes get mid-300 Mbps.  Stepping about 20 feet away with an unobstructed view of the Deco M4R, I drop down into the low 100s or much worse.  If I go one floor up from Deco M4R (about 15 feet distance, only a wood framed ceiling/floor (no conduit or ductwork). I drop down below 100s consistently.

Plug In Extenders (two) are Deco M3Ws.  All white indicator lights across showing on each.  Barely get 50Mbps when standing right next this two units.

Any way to fix this?

Worse, if I leave a room with an extender and move away from the extender into a room with another extender (or the base), I lose my connection and I have to disconnect and reconnect to the network.  Thoughts?

PS

This link

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1446/

isn't helpful.

In particular.  On my app, this isn't right.  The "Main Deco" displays some of the information contained in the second screenshot.  But, the "Living Room" (one of my Deco M3Ws is actually named Living Room) just says "Deco Health Check.  Deco is working well."  It doesn't display the speed, or signal source strength.

Options
3 Reply
Re:OK Speed with Deco M4R, Terrible Speed with Deco M3Ws
2020-10-29 17:32:06

@JSJS2 

What band is your testing device connected to when you are testing on wireless?  What kind of device is it and it it up to date on its OS?

Options
2020-10-29 20:48:06

@Carl

I have no idea what "band" any of my devices are using to connect to either the main unit (the Deco M4R,) or to the two Deco M3Ws.  How would I find this out?

All devices connecting to the network (laptops, desktops, Apple TV and iOS devices) are all current and up to date on software updates.

Options
2020-11-05 19:52:30

@JSJS2 

Respectful bump to determine if anyone has any solutions, advice or assistance.  About reday to return this system and try a competitor.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 624

Replies: 3