Using smart switches to create a 3-way when I don't have traveler wires?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-29 01:18:07
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an old X-10 switch and and Insteon switch used to create a 3-way for a light fixture that does not have traveler wires.  The X-10 is becoming unreliable.  Can I configure 2 HS200 switches, one with no load, one connected to the fixture.  I'd then use the Smart Actions to trigger the switch connected to the load from the switch that has no load.  Would this work?  That's basically how the X-10 switch works.  The Insteon controls the load and when it works, accepts the X-10 code from what is basically a hard-wired remote.

Advice please.

The basic wiring is a single switch controlling a single load.  Neutral's are available in both locations.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Denny

Options
3 Reply
Re:Using smart switches to create a 3-way when I don't have traveler wires?
2020-10-29 17:05:33

@DennyLS 

TP-Link's HS200 is for single pole only.  It requires a live wire, a load wire and a neutral wire.  The ground wire is not needed by recommended.  For 3-way enviroments you need to use the HS210 and it will require traveler wires. 

Options
2020-10-29 17:35:24

@Carl Hi Carl,  Thanks for your response.  Yes, I fully understand that.  I have several installed. 

My question is this--will the HS200 function if nothing is connected to the load side--will it still send a signal over the Wi-Fi?.  Then, using Smart Actions, pressing that HS200 could trigger the HS200 that's connected to the load.  I'm attempting to use the HS200 as a "remote" just to send a signal over the WiFi network.  One HS200 is connected normally--and controls the load.  The other HS200 is a "dummy"--connected only to line and neutral.  Using Smart Actions, it's set to trigger the "loaded" HS200, in effect creating a 3 way circuit.  Your thoughts?

Options
2020-10-29 17:44:38

@DennyLS 

No the 3 wires are required.  This includes the load.  the product as we know it will not work in the situation you are trying to use it for. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 885

Replies: 3