Deco Satelites (M3W) Cutting WiFi speeds in half or slower

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-30 07:30:56 - last edited 2020-10-30 07:32:19
Model: Deco M3W  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20191202 Rel. 63124

I'm currently using a Deco M4R in "access point" mode which is wired into my AT&T router/modem combo with an ethernet cable. Along with this I have two (2) Deco M3W satellites plugged in. One satellite unit is less than 20 feet away from the main M4R, down an open hallway with no obstructions/walls/etc in the way. The second satellite unit is down the same hallway another 20 feet or so, again with no obstructions, all on the same floor of the home.

I have "AT&T 1000" gigabit internet speed here. The WiFi on my AT&T router/modem is turned OFF. The only WiFi in my home is the Deco WiFi.

When connecting to the main Deco M4R unit, I am getting solid download speeds between 400-600 Mbps. Those speeds are relatively consistent and apply when a device is either wired or connected to the M4R via WiFi. I have tried multiple devices and the speeds are good no matter what I test with (iphone, playstation, PC).

However, when connecting a device via WiFi to either of the two satellite M3W units, the speed drops to between 65-115 Mbps. I cannot figure out what the bottleneck is here. This slower speed is consistent across different devices including an Android tablet, an iPhone, and a PC.

All firmware for all of the Deco units is up to date. I have tried rebooting. I have tried unplugging from the walls and plugging back in. Nothing changes.

TP-Link's official troubleshooting fix for this is to "move the satellite Deco closer to the main Deco, ensure there are no/fewer obstacles between the main Deco and satellite."

Good grief.

Considering my satellite units are literally 20 feet from the main Deco and have NO obstacles or walls between them and the main Deco, I believe there is something greater at play here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco Satelites (M3W) Cutting WiFi speeds in half or slower
2020-10-30 17:17:12

@adam_v 

Hi Adam,

Are you using Fast Roam or the QOS feature?

Options
2020-10-30 18:21:34 - last edited 2020-10-30 20:04:31

@Carl 

Fast roaming is disabled. QoS is not available on my Deco app (and I have the latest version of the app). Screenshot here:

Options
2020-11-21 15:53:22

Anything new here? I just bought the M3 system with an M4 base and two M3W's. I got this system based on price and the same system working really well at my church. Mine is set up as an access point with an AT&T Pace gateway router. Wi-Fi in the Pace is shut off. Set up and firmware updates were easy and everything works, dead zones eliminated, but similar, my M3W units seem to be limited to about 150 mbps. I can even stand in front of an empty outlet where I'm close enough to the main unit to get 400 mbps on my mobile phone. Plug an M3W in right there into the outlet I'm standing in front of, wait until the M3W boots, and check speed again and I get 150 mbps. Checking the Deco app shows me connected to the M4 for the first test and I think the M3W for the second test (the field that previously listed the Deco M4 device type now says "non available with this firmware"). I have tested with various arrangements in the house and with fast roaming both on and off and no difference. I'm delighted to have 150 mbps where I once had 30, or even 5 in a couple spots, but aren't these satellites supposed to provide better speed? As far as I can tell they do at my church although admittedly I don't have the opportunity to test there as methodically.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1236

Replies: 3