Archer C6 V2.0(EU) Packet Drop or Ping Loss Issue on Wireless and LAN clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-09 18:50:31 - last edited 2020-11-10 08:37:54
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.6 Build 20200902 rel.65591(4555)

Dear TP-Link Team.

I have faced packet drop or ping loss every now and then while using Archer C6  C6 V2.0 EU, (1.3.6 Build 20200902 rel.65591(4555), I bought the router few days back so it is new, router will drop packet or pings(pings will timeout) at random intervals with no reason.

2nd Screen Shot after may 1 or 2 minutes.

3rd Screen Short Same interval of 1 or sminutes or so.

let me first explain the connection setup:
FTTH internet coming to Huawei Router(HG8245Q2) with 240Mb. I connected Archer with this router via wifi and lan as mentioned below to see the behaviour and try to find a workarround of the problem described above. Below is detail of my troubleshooting. 

Method 1 I used:

a) using WDS feature on 5G wifi radio of Archer C6 to connect with Huawei router.

b)Connection is successful but ping packets to Huawei router IP address(Local IP address of 192.168.100.1) would time out frequently on both wireless clients and lan connection cleints no matter where you connect with archer and trying to reach HUAWEI router.

c)VOIP services or VPN service to work from home does not work because of this frequent packet drops by Archer C6. This packet drop causes VPN to disconnect again and again services like CISCO WebEX or ZOOM would fail and no meeting can be joined. Even if you join it will be disconnected ot voice would start breaking.

d)Changed firmware to all available firmware on this link one by one  but in vain there was no difference in packst loss:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/archer-c6/v2/#Firmware

Method 2 i used:

a) Using Wan port of Archer C6 and connecting it VIA healthy and perfectly working CAT6 cable with Huawei router.

b) Still observing packet loss and ping drops on both wireless and lan connected client,  no matter where you connect with archer.

d) tried different version available on above mentioned link

e) No method Worked.

Method 3 i used:

a) Connecting healthy and perfectly working CAT6 cable to Archer C6 lan ports and Huawei router.

b) disabling DHCP giving IP same as of HUAWEI router subnet etc.

d) connection successful but again packet loss or ping drops frequently on lan and WIFI 2.4G or 5g clients.

e) tried all different firmware as above no differnce problem is repeated.

Method 4 i used:

a) installing openwrt openwrt-19.07.4 on Archer C6.

b) after successful installation connected using relayed feature in openwrt to connect Huawei router via 5G wifi.

c) Connection successful and no packet drops on wireless clients on 2.4G or 5G and lan.

d) after may b 30 minutes or 45 minutes connection would drop and i had to reboot the archer or simpy resatrt the 5 g radio.

e) tested on LAN and found it works but i haven't tested it long enough for stability purpose as i dont like to use openwrt.

f) Also i found that 2.4g speed on openwrt would drop to 10Mbps or so on download and 5 or 6Mb on upload so did not liked it at all.

Method 5 i used:

a) I used TFTP recovery method and installed a firmware released by TP link in 2018 version 1.0.1 Build 20180627 rel.42764

b) Used WDS on 5G again to test it first to connect to Huawei Router. connection was successfull

b) Packet Drop issue resolved. but another issue poped up, 2.4G WIFI speed dropped to around 10-15Mb, even after forcing channel to 40MHZ. note there was no any noise in the channel causing such a behaviour.

d) Used LAN cable setup to connect with HUAWEI router and archer lan port,  it was a success no packet drop, but still 2.4g WIFI was giving terible speed of around 10-15Mb.

Please note i also tried all other possible workaround on all above tested firmwares like disabling IPV6, disbling IGMP, disabling security disabling NAT etc. non of the workaround worked for packet drop or ping loss. Also for your kind information i always connected one or two clients during testing on either LAN or WiFi. so client is not an issue at all tried differnt Laptops(Wiindows based) and mobile phones(Android and IOS) for test clients. Also When clients are connected diectly to Huawei Router there was no any issue with regarding pinng loss or packet drop. So no issue at Huawei Router at All.

I noticed Archer C6 is droping packet when it report CPU usage more than 40, 50 percent. 

Dear TP Link team we need a proper workaround for this please share if you have already or else develop it please people are suffering because of probably bad software if not hardware.
Will be waiting for a proper solution.

Thanks.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer C6 V2.0(EU) Packet Drop or Ping Loss Issue on Wireless and LAN clients
2020-12-10 16:10:57
There is no solution of this issue from TP link. After a lot of troubleshooting with different firmwares and setups I have quited any further testing since it is useless as whatever setup you use it would behave same. So I have now settled with opernwrt firmware with its own issues but at least no more packet drops TP link team please fix this issue once and for all the issue seems to be clearly with your firmware.
Options
Re:Archer C6 V2.0(EU) Packet Drop or Ping Loss Issue on Wireless and LAN clients
2020-12-18 03:18:08

@greatone 

Hi, I have sent you a PM, please check and confirm, thanks.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-01-20 16:03:18

@Kevin_Z 

Hello Kevin,

I have the same issue with my router. Can you please help to resolve this issue ?

Regards

Shiva

Options
2021-01-21 02:01:19

@civa.adala 

Hi, this seems not a connection drops issue, it's just the ping goes high periodically, do you mean this will happen even if you connect the only computer to the C6 directly with an Ethernet cable?

What if you connect this computer to the ISP modem directly, then do the same ping test, what is the result? Please show us the ping results to check, thanks.

What is the current firmware version of the Archer C6? Check and ensure it is already the latest.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-01-21 20:50:12

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your quick response.

Yes, my screenshot above only shows that ping goes high periodically. However, I noticed that once in every 1000 - 2000 ping requests there is a drop - "Request timed out". This is not happening when fewer clients (4 - 5 clients both on ethernet and wifi) are connected to Archer C6. However when this issue is replicated, I usually have around 8 - 10 clients connected to Archer C6 both on ethernet and wifi. Then, all the clients are disconnected from internet and are connected back within few seconds. Unfortunately, when this happens during the office hours it is very painful.

From my test logs:

To answer your questions.

1. Do you mean this will happen even if you connect the only computer to the C6 directly with an Ethernet cable?

Ans: When only one PC is connected to C6 directly using an ethernet cable, I do not see that this issue is getting replicated.

2. Ping test on ISP modem directly.

Ans: There are no drops in the ping test when ISP modem is directly connected to my PC without having Archer C6 in between. Technician from my ISP has also performed some tests and confirmed the same.

3. What is the current firmware version of the Archer C6?

Ans: 1.3.6 Build 20200902 rel.65591(4555)

Regards

Shiva

Options
2021-02-08 09:17:57

@civa.adala 

Give this a go, then monitor.

Options
2021-02-27 14:44:14

@Kevin_Z Yes, its same to me too, no matter if I'm connected wireless on LAN i still have the same problem over and over! Tried all the methods but still no result!

Options
2021-07-14 01:24:37

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks! This link worked for me. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2982

Replies: 8

Related Articles