Archer VR400 V2.0 5GHz network issue on all firmwares

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-10 21:00:02
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 200713

Hi all!

I'm hoping someone has come across this and has a fix - I've searched everywhere and thus far have found no resolution to my problem...

Right off the bat, I've tried the following to solve my issue:

- Tried all available firmware versions including one supplied by TPLink support

- Setup via desktop web interface and app on multiple different firmware versions

- Reboots and factory resets across all firmwares after changing any settings which led to no improvement

- Tried multiple different SSID/password combinations

- Verified all line settings are correct (PPPoE settings)

- Probably other things I've since forgotten 

My device is an Archer VR400 V2.0 router.

The issue I'm having is that if I set any SSID or password other than defaults on either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz network, the 5GHz network stops broadcasting. On the firmware I'm currently using (200713, which is what you actually get if you download the 200706 file from the TPLink Site), the 5GHz network at least stays live as long as I leave both SSID's and passwords as default - not ideal, but better than if I use any other firmware in which case the 5GHz band stops broadcasting even on defaults.

When I do change an SSID or password, it's like the router doesn't know how to handle it and just tries to broadcast whatever it feels like - I have a persistant hidden network (which a WiFi analyser app seems to indicate *is* coming from my router despite not having any hidden network set up - both SSID's should be visible) which is on the 2.4GHz band along with the *actual* 2.4GHz SSID?!

With any customised SSID or Password, the 5GHz network stops broadcasting, and I end up with a 2.4GHz network I can use and a useless 2.4GHz hidden network which I've not set up. To my knowledge, this shouldn't even be possible on this router. Occasionally I have actually seen all 4 SSID's (both the defaults and the "custom" ones I configured) being broadcast at the same time to multiple devices, though I can only connect to one of them.

The issue seems to be similar to issues others have reported on these forums re. the 5GHz network dropping out or not being broadcast at all, and in a sense the 200713 firmware *did* solve this issue, unless I want either SSID or password to be anything other than Tp-link defaults.

Apologies for the rambling - it's a really odd one to try and convey through text on a screen.. If anyone has any ideas I'd be very greatful! Otherwise I'll be sending this back and replacing with a different router :(

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer VR400 V2.0 5GHz network issue on all firmwares
2020-11-10 22:38:51
A few things I would try. Maybe you tried these already. Be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router. Test with a different device to ensure it is not your device. Use SSIDs that does not have any special characters, spaces, or numbers. Be sure the hide SSID is off. Check the mode and set it to a different setting. Power cycle after the router changes both the router and the testing device (PC). If using the same SSID as previously, delete/forget the network on the device and re-establish it. If the antennas are removable, remove them and try them in a different place. Try using specific channels and widths. Turn off any mesh settings and HomeCare if you have them. See if both guest networks work. If the router is near any other electronic device, try moving it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 507

Replies: 1

Related Articles