5G network not showing up on laptops, but will show up on mobiles.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-17 06:49:12
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My 5G network is showing up on my cell phone but not on either of my laptops. Both laptops are able to see other 5G networks from my neighbors but mine is missing. I've tried resetting the router, ensuring firmware is up-to-date, turning on and off the 5G network (and the 2.4 just because), and have tried changing the channels but no luck. I get full 5G network signal on my phone anywhere in the house, but I can be right next to the router with my laptop and nothing. 2.4 network works fine but is way slower... Any ideas?

Options
2 Reply
Re:5G network not showing up on laptops, but will show up on mobiles.
2020-11-17 13:30:43
By 5G i assume you mean the WIFI 5 GHz network. 5G is a cellular network. By chance do you have the mode set to use the AC mode? If so try changing it as your laptop may not like AC mode. It can also be something in your laptop's network settings or you may need to update your WIFI drivers in your laptop.
Options
Re:5G network not showing up on laptops, but will show up on mobiles.
2020-11-17 17:00:35

@BlueComet 

Have you tried it (5Ghz SSID) without Security? If nothing more, as a test?

Some Properties might set the Laptop to 2.4Ghz only, but that doesn't seem like it if you can see other 5Ghz SSID's?

Are you SURE the Laptop is using the CORRECT Gateway??? Again, that shouldn't matter if you see other SSID's?

If on Windows, open a CMD prompt and enter IPCONFIG /ALL and post what it shows?

Is your router putting out MU-MIMO? Maybe the LapTop can't handle that?

Are you sure the Cell Phones are connecting to your Router, but Cell service or someone elses?

On the Laptop, if on Windows or Mac, go to https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/downloads-free-license-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/download-wifi-scanner-windows/, get it, install it (Free version) and run it. Does it see the SSID's?

Just wild guesses on my part?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 399

Replies: 2