Upside-Down Mounting options for WiFi router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-19 21:06:11 - last edited 2020-11-19 21:08:09
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Currently my router is sitting on the floor.  Not the best location.  My house is 2400sqft, 4 levels.  Each level is more of a half level (each level only taking up a small portion of the 'earth footprint').  The floor/level that i would like to mount this is sort of a middle level.  I am wondering what mounting this router 'upside down' to the ceiling would do for reception?  As long as it doesnt decrease I am good.  Most of the internet use is web surfing (3 kids, 3 TVs, and 2 adults).  I am a full time remote worker for instructional design/development (plus educational game dev).  My development computer is connected via one of the gigabit wired ports out of the router.  So I am not worried.  

You see wireless nodes connected to the ceilings of many office complexes.  I only question this as the A20 has antennas that point UP when the box is sitting correct.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Upside-Down Mounting options for WiFi router
2020-11-19 23:58:05

@Here-ye_Here-ye 

Should be the same putting it upside down. With the antenna vertical the signal is sent outward more horizontal than vertical. Here is an article that talks about it: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/468/

So you can try putting the antennas in different angles to get the best coverage.

Options
Re:Upside-Down Mounting options for WiFi router
2020-11-20 13:24:33
The only thing I would be concerned with is heat. If the router is designed to where heat can escape as easily as when it is right side up, you should be good to go.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3845

Replies: 2

Related Articles