How to change the layout of the Decos

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-30 16:29:12
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 build 20201013

Hello,

When setting my New X20 Deco router,  I accidentally select the defaul layout.  I have 3 deco unit, one is the base in the basement, 2nd in the main floor, and 3rd in the 2nd floor.

I want to change the layout to the current positions of my decos, how I do it?

Will changing the layout will help improving the signal?  right now the 2nd floor get weeker signal and speed compare to the main floor and the basement.

Note:  the default layout is one floor, while my current setup is like 3 floor (basement, 1st and 2nd floor)

Thanks

Phi

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to change the layout of the Decos
2020-12-01 23:04:29

@Alpharetta 

The Layout is just for placement assistance and does not affect how the decos perform.  You can from the mainscreen tap on the globe and then each indvidual deco and give them a location. But that is just for tracking incase a unit goes down you know which one. 

Options
2020-12-02 01:14:59

@Carl Thanks so much for your answer.  It seems using the wired Ethernet cable back haul to connect to the deco units is the best practices.  But if we don't go that route,

the base unit should be the center, and the other units surround it, correct?

Current my layout is like 

1. Basement: modem - Base Deco Unit as the router

2. Main floor - 2nd deco unit

3. 2nd floor - 3rd unit

I notice that the wifi speed in the basement if pretty fast 500 MB, on the main floor it's 300 MB, and on the 2nd floor it reduces down to 200 MB

So should I rewire my system so that:

1.  Basement - remote deco unit

2.  Main floor - Modem and base deco unit

3.  2nd floor - another remote deco unit

Will this help to improve the speed through out the house?

Best

Phi

Options
2020-12-02 19:08:45

@Alpharetta 

Yes that is the best recommend deployment.  With no more than 25-30 feet between units and units at least 10-15 feet from a exteior wall.  This way you are getting the most out of each units wireless signal. There will always be a small drop in speed as you move from the source and the furhter from a node you are.  though with the main unit set in the middle of the home overall lost will be reduced. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2922

Replies: 3